Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
181 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 179

Don Shields, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 37 38 39 (40)

Re: Mike's 53 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Taking a short brake from doors to figure out why the kickdown function on my R11 overdrive is not working. I have already checked that the four wires from the kickdown switch to the coil, lockout switch, relay and solenoid are correct, and also that the kickdown switch is correctly opening and closing the circuits as it should. So far, the easy stuff looks good. Wiring and kickdown switch are good.
I performed a test that is included in the instruction manual of the "Warner Automatic Overdrive" : With the engine running, I grounded terminal 6 of the solenoid (wire 45-GBK, the one that goes to the B posts of the kickdown switch) and then actuated the kickdown switch. This shut off the engine, by grounding out the ignition coil.
Reading the BW instruction manual, it seems like the solenoid is not internally closing a contact like it should when it is actuated....I guess I need to remove the solenoid, but dont want to do that unless I am sure. Can somebody confirm this is a solenoid problem?
The overdrive works fine otherwise. The relay clicks, the overdrive enganges as usual, and disenganges when I get too slow. The cut in/out speed does seem to vary sometimes, but besides no kickdown, the OD works OK.
In the OD trouble shooting section of the packard manual, page 21 point 4.(e) for "failure to disengage" says, "Overdrive relay faulty. Ground-out unit not operating." To check this, it says check operation of relay with a test lamp. I'm not sure how to do this.

It would be easier to fix or change the relay than the slenoid...Can one of the OD geniuses help me out here?

I'm OK with a multi-meter or test light, so if there are any other tests I can do before pulling a solenoid, I would be happy to do that. Thanks guys.

Posted on: Today 5:26
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1953 Caribbean, 1969 912, 1990 Miata
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Had this just the other day in a 50 Studebaker In order to kick down, the ignition circuit must be momentarily grounded to take the load off the overdrive pawl and allow it to retract. That ground is effected by the second set of points in the solenoid which are closed the whole time you are in overdrive, and open when the solenoid is released.. So, when you floor it, the signal to the relay is turned off at the kickdown switch and the solenoid stops pushing the pawl. Simultaneously that completes the circuit from the point side of the ignition coil to that second set of points in the solenoid. The engine skips a beat or two and the solenoid can retract. The instant it retracts the second points open and ignition is restored.

So the "point" is, that second set of points in the solenoid must provide a ground whenever the solenoid is in operation. These are the points on top you see when you take the cap off. They can be merely dirty, or if things have been wired up wrong in the past the little spring arm may have gotten distorted from the heat of shorting out.

If you have good continuity across the upper terminals on your kickdown switch when you depress it, the problem you need to fix is those points in the solenoid.

Be certain this ground-out circuit is connected to the point side of your ignition coil otherwise it will be passing way too much current and commit suicide.

Posted on: Today 6:22
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Making some progress...I removed the solenoid and gave it a little clean and wire brush treatment. At rest, there is continuity between terminal 4 and the case, this must be the windings of the coil of the solenoid. that's good. Terminal 6 to ground is open when the solenoid is at rest. That is also good. I used the 6V car battery, and some jumper cables to apply positive to the ground and negative to terminal 4, and the shaft gets about 1/4 or 1/3 inch shorter. I guess that is also correct. When voltage is applied to the solenoid, I still have no connection to ground from terminal 6. If I push the shaft into the slenoid about ~1/2 inch or so, then I get the ground continuity to terminal 6 of the solenoid.

Is the actuation of the solenoid only supposed to be 1/4 inch? is there a spec on the travel of the shaft? It seems like the solenoid pulls enough to engange the OD, but not far enough to engange the second set of contacts.
I used jumper cables from the battery to the solenoid, so there should be enough current getting to the winding. I double checked that the wire going from the kickdown switch goes to the side of the coil that the points are connected to. That is also right.

Next step open up the solenoid and bend things so that the ground points close earlier? Or somehow get the solenoid to pull ~1/2 inch?
(thanks Ross for the help and description of how this works)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Edit: I was doing something wrong before...I re -connected things, with some better wiring, and was able to get the solenoid shaft to extend with a nice snap about 3/4 inch or so. However, with my meter attached to pin 6 and ground, I got no beep. -so no continuity. I guess I need to take the lid off of the solenoid.

Posted on: Today 9:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
OK, I removed the cover from the solenoid, and can see that the top set of points is not closing when the shaft moves. The spring looks like it was heated up by too much current going through it. I guess this was hooked up wrong at some point in its history.
Is it ok to just try and bend the spring down to get the points to close? Or, is this solenoid toast? If I take those two little nuts off, I'm guessing the spring from the main solenoid will come out, so I don't want to take those off.
Some judicial bending the next step?
It would be nice to fix this with a tweak instead of buying a new/used solenoid.

Attach file:

jpg  20240926_173555.jpg (1,877.75 KB)
657_66f5b6349eccb.jpg 4000X3000 px

jpg  20240926_212147.jpg (528.83 KB)
657_66f5b643835a6.jpg 1872X1831 px

Posted on: Today 14:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Tobs wrote:
Is it ok to just try and bend the spring down to get the points to close?

Sure, why not?

If you want to get more involved, you could probably drill out the rivets to get the spring into a better position, then reattach it with machine screws, nuts, internal lock washers, and blue Loctite as I do on the headlight switch in this video at the 25 minute mark. IF there is space.

Posted on: Today 15:00
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 37 38 39 (40)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved