Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9)

Re: Morticus' Packard 200 Deluxe Touring Edition
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
YnZ does have the power window connectors for 1955 and 1956. I have one of their window harnesses for my 1956 Clipper with the new connectors and they sell them separately too.

I remember your mentioning this a few months ago and am glad YnZ has them but I suspect many, like myself until then, did not know the connectors were even available.

No idea if YnZ was the one that repro'd them or if they were still being mfg'd but if they were repro'd and Dwight could work out a deal to also stock and package or promote the terminals along with the switches I expect both companies could benefit. I don't remember if they were visible on the YnZ store site but still suspect many are not familiar with the company or know that the terminals are available.

YnZ used to have a $20 or so minimum order fee. If they still have it or it has increased like everything else, that could be an issue for some in wanting to buy just a few terminals.

Posted on: 7/12 14:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Gas tank update.

We checked the inside of the repro tank to see where the problem was. Turns out the heat from soldering the bung caused the pick up line to detach. So now we'll need to cut a hole in the top of the tank, solder the line back in place, then seal the access hole. Not looking forward to it.
Click to see original Image in a new window

I've been trying to weld up my old tank after having it sandblasted. It's coming along but it's a bit frustrating. Old thin metal is a struggle to weld, especially for someone who is new at it.

So I pulled out my brother in law's old tank (the one that came with the car and ended up causing multiple stick valves). I had previously used a bunch of vinegar and bolts thrown in the tank to loosen up all the rust and scale. It did fairly well but I stopped working on the tank after we picked up the repro tank.

So, pulled it back out, pressure washed everything I could reach on the inside. Cleared up all the surface rust that had appeared in the past year, and got rid of the leftover flakes. Then dumped acetone in it to dissolve any leftover varnish. Drained then dumped in 99% alcohol to help dry it out. Heat gun finished up the drying. I then sprayed in a bunch of fogging oil and rolled the tank around to cover all surfaces. This should prevent flash rust.

This is how the tank started was back when he first bought the car

It's not perfect, but I think may work for a temporary tank while we work on fixing the repro. Might be a good idea to put a fuel filter in front of the tank though.

-Kevin

Posted on: Yesterday 20:43
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I always had problems getting all the rust off the "ceiling" of the tank. After clogging fuel filters over and over I finally gave up and decided to have it renu'd.

Posted on: Yesterday 21:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
I always had problems getting all the rust off the "ceiling" of the tank. After clogging fuel filters over and over I finally gave up and decided to have it renu'd.

That's what I'm worried about. I don't have the scope with me, so I can't see the top of the tank. Bottom looks great though. It may be good enough for a temporary tank.

My brother in law hasn't been able to drive his car because we've been chasing fuel tank problems for 3 months now. Between work, family, and other obligations the two of us have had a hard time getting things repaired. I'm just wanting to get him back on the road while we repair the repro tank. Once we fix the pickup tube the repro tank will be good to go forever. This old tank will be used as a backup or for Rusty McRustFace if I ever get that car running.

-Kevin

Posted on: Yesterday 22:12
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved