Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 Super 8 not restarting when hot
Just popping in
Just popping in

PackDan
See User information
Hello everyone, first post for me.
Our 1502 will not restart once it gets hot. We are leaning towards an electrical issue but can't nail it down. When hot if you kill it at a stop sign, you're going to be there for an hour waiting for it cool down then it will restart. Fires up fairly easy from cold, but will not restart hot. The timing is on, new points and condenser, valves adjusted, and the battery is good. We have read that, the fuel can empty/boil out of the carb. We can't wrap our heads around it happening, in a matter seconds, from when the car is stopped. Hoping someone here can maybe direct us to something we are missing. Thanks in advance.

Posted on: Today 14:42
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 Super 8 not restarting when hot
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
That's not too uncommon. If it does it immediately after stopping the engine when hot, then trying to re-start, it may be that the starter is dragging. In such a case, the starter will often sound like the battery needs charging. Another possible cause is carbon deposits in the engine. Driving the car will often reduce them. Timing that is just a little too far advanced can cause hot starting issues, and if the distributor advance mechanism is not working as it should, the timing can be advanced too far even if the initial timing is correct. You might try driving the car to fully warm it up, then set the initial timing about 3 to 4 degrees later than it is, and see if that helps. Try it several times to be sure. Another way to check for advanced timing is to get the engine hot, then crank it with the ignition OFF and see if it cranks faster. You need a full size battery in top condition and the correct cables and connectors in top condition to assure reliable starting under all conditions. ** While it is not uncommon for older cars to flood when stopped in hot weather, it usually takes a few minutes after a hot stop for this to occur, and the same is true for a dry carburetor bowl condition. If the car is hard to start immediately after a hot shutdown, it probably isn't a fuel issue, UNLESS you have a sticking choke or a sticking manifold heat valve.

Posted on: Today 15:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I just have the 120, but mine has the '53 327 with the 4 BBL Carter Carb. That said, she will not always start hot either, and NEVER after a stall out at a light, turns over but cannot get gas. I suspect a bad accelerator pump acerbated by the modern fast evaporating fuel with ethanol in these parts. I have found a sure work-around for mine. I made a cup holder that is designated for a Gatorade bottle I keep filled when I refill the tank. A short shot right in the carb results in an instant fire-up.
You could test this in the privacy of your garage by taking her out for a run, shutting her down in the garage, then trying to start her. If she doesn't go, try a shot of gas and see if she responds. No harm done as if it doesn't work, simply empty the bottle into the gas tank and go to the next plan.
Bob J.

Posted on: Today 16:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
You probably do have a fuel problem. Might be low float level and/or accelerator pump issue.

Posted on: Today 16:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I agree, but it does not show up at all during running any other way so I use the bottle.
Here is a shot of the holder, put it on the passenger side so in easy reach to priming the carb.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  Rumble Seat Cup Holder.JPG (2,589.68 KB)
225215_6705a57a58c15.jpg 3072X2304 px

Posted on: Today 16:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved