Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 85

Packard Newbie, Bob J, Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

22nd Series Blower Motor - Repair?/Replace?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Todd W. White
See User information
Well, cold weather just got here (late), and I turned on the blower motor in my '49 22nd series and it blew the fuse. It's dark out right now, but I'm guessing that tomorrow, when I remove it, I'll find the motor has seized.

I have searched the forums and literature sections and have been unsuccessful in finding much on this issue (in fact, I couldn't even find a reference to the heater blower at all in the 22nd series electrical drawings: found it in the 23rd series document). I couldn't even find info for servicing the heater in the Service Manual (still learning how Packard catalogued everything - very confusing, for me, at least).

At any rate, do most people have these motors rebuilt, or do they replace them, and, if they replace them, with what? Any part numbers (didn't see any in the cross-reference page)?

One more thing - the wiring diagram I was able to find showed a 1-wire connection, even though the Operation Manual states that the blower is of the Hi/Lo type. How is that accomplished on these machines?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Posted on: Yesterday 21:35
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
1949 2262 DeLuxe Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 22nd Series Blower Motor - Repair?/Replace?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
The terms “heater fan” and “blower” conjure up different things in my mind, so they probably are different. I’m not sure the heater in ‘48 used motors like these, but they are available and were used by Ford in heaters for over 10 years. I paid more a few years ago to have the one that failed rebuilt.,These were cheaply made motors to begin with. I replaced my under the seat heater with one.

packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb ... c.php?post_id=275976&keywords=Under+seat+heater

Posted on: Yesterday 22:14
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Heaters were not present on the very early 22nd series cars so I suspect they were still treated as an add on option like the earlier heaters were as far as wiring diagrams were concerned. Most options were not even shown on wiring diagrams until the multi page 22-23 series and later diagrams came along.

The motor does only have one wire for voltage feed and a second short wire connected to a convenient screw on the sheet metal for ground. When the switch is turned on to high speed 6v is sent to the motor. On the back of the switch is a resistor which is placed in the circuit when low speed is selected and that resistor reduces voltage by a volt or so and motor does not run as fast to provide the second speed. Some year switches even had a medium range with a different resistance that could be added for the third speed. Resistors can be open wire wound coils or ceramic covered wire and even some switches have carbon elements pressed together. All get fairly hot when in use. The switch in the photo is open wire type and is protected from other things touching it by a heat shield.

It is possible the motor has seized but with the old fabric covered wire it is also possible a chuck of insulation has fallen off somewhere and the wire is shorted. You would need to access the blower and see if the wheel moves to determine if it is seized. Possibly removal would be the only way although if there is any fabric duct between the blower and air vent tube it might be possible to remove that duct and reach the wheel to see if it would move.

Click to see original Image in a new window

I doubt you will find a real Packard supplied motor anymore unless somebody happens to throw a NOS on ebay. You could probably find a used complete assy but as Joe said other mfgs used similar motors so you might find one of those on ebay that would work. Downside to taking a chance there is unless the vendor provide specifications as to mounting dimension that you could compare with your old motor you take a chance on another brand motor not being able to bolt in.

The modern universal motor will in most cases either drop right in or at worst will only take a very small amount of modification to fit.

Posted on: Yesterday 22:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Todd W. White
See User information
Thanks, Howard. Very helpful!

I found on another Forum a Napa number, BK6551021, that seems to be a 6 volt, universal replacement that can be wired either way, as necessary, depending on the direction of rotation somebody needs. I'm not sure it can work with a positive ground car like mine, but I'm not sure how to find out.

We have several electric motor rebuilders in our area. I'm going to give them calls tomorrow to see what the possible cost would be to rebuild the one I have, just in case.

Thanks again for all your help!

Posted on: Yesterday 23:20
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The universal motors will work with either polarity. You will need to experiment with hooking it up. Try the red wire to ground and black to voltage first and if the wheel turns the correct way to blow out a good stream of air then make the connections permanent. If it runs backwards then reverse the wires.

Posted on: Yesterday 23:24
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Todd if you want to throw that in a box and send it to me I could probably fix it for you. As long as the motor windings are not melted.

PM me if you're interested and I'll send you my address.

P.S. If you can detach the heater core from the blower it would drop the shipping probably in half.

Posted on: Today 6:18
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Todd W. White
See User information
Now that it's light outside, and I can see, I'll be able to tell how to remove it. I'm wondering if it just comes off by itself or you have to take more off with it.

I'll let you know.

Posted on: Today 8:08
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Todd W. White
See User information
Well, this is proving to be quite a challenge. Has anyone taken one of these blower motors off before?

Posted on: Today 9:46
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
If you keep removing every screw in sight it should come apart.

Don’t try to remove the motor from the housing. Just separate the blower housing from the heater core section.

Posted on: Today 10:17
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I personally have not taken the blower assy apart on that style heater but if like the later models removing the screws circled and another that might be hidden in the photo will allow the mounting plate along with the motor and wheel still atached to come out of the housing. Once the wheel can be accessed then it is a matter of loosening a setscrew and using a puller and whatever else that might be needed to remove the wheel from the shaft in order to access the nuts holding the motor to the plate.

Posted on: Today 10:52
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Upcoming Events
46th Annual Texas Packard Meet
04/03/2025 - 04/06/2025
Packard Salon - Calling All Twelves
05/27/2025 - 05/29/2025
58th Annual National Meet
05/31/2025 - 06/06/2025
AACA Fall Meet (Hershey)
10/06/2025 - 10/10/2025
South Pacific Packard Club 2026 Rally
03/22/2026 - 03/28/2026
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved