Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 89

BDeB, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

A Way to Cool a Fuel Line?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Here is a suggestion to help overcome vapor lock. On air conditioned cars one of the AC lines is cold when the system is operating. Could one re-route the fuel pump to carburetor line so it could be clamped to the cold AC line for cold transfer? Just a suggestion. Look forward to hearing your views on this.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/5/24 9:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: A Way to Cool a Fuel Line?
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The a/c line on my car is on the opposite side of the car. Re-routing the fuel line would be quite an undertaking, but it sounds like a plan. The way I solved vapor locking is by hooking up an electric fuel pump.

Posted on: 2010/5/24 10:14
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting idea. I know that's the pipe that gets all the shielding and added doodads to cure vapor lock. From what I've read, not always successfully though.

It does run close to heat which undoubtedly contributes but have found it interesting that an electric pump at the back of car usually seems to resolve the issue for almost all. The pipe in question is most of the time under some pressure from the mechanical pump so would think it would not be the culprit as much as the feed line before the pump which operates under reduced pressure.

Since the usual electric pump installation pressurizes that supply line to essentially same level as the pump to carb pipe and usually ends complaints, would think the answer is more complicated than just one section.

Posted on: 2010/5/24 11:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
West and HH56, good comments. I got the idea from a Jag Tech Session on Saturday. I went with a friend as a guest. There I saw a vintage V-12 fuel injected Jag that had the return fuel line bracketed to the cold AC line with a heat (cold) sink. Jaguar did this to cool the fuel being returned to the tank. It may be something to consider for those who do not want an electric fuel pump.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/5/24 12:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thats a good idea. Wonder why more mfgs didn't think of doing something similar or is it not an issue with them. As I recall, Jags had a bit of overheating problem and V12s maybe even more -- so that might be the reason they came up with it but think others might benefit.

Wonder how a Peltier module or heat pipe setup would work for those without AC. Peltier might draw too many amps for a decent size but easy & cheap enough to do. A passive adsorptive refrigeration cycle might work too-- maybe take advantage of exhaust pipe heat. That would require some engineering though.

Posted on: 2010/5/24 13:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
two or three wooden clothes pins clamped on the fuel line will do the trick. You can always take them off when you get where you are going. I know it sounds strange but it works, that's the key.

Posted on: 2010/5/24 20:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Having the fuel pump in proper condition, no warpage in the housings where they mate, a good, current-material diaphragm and having the factory heat shields in place, along with properly routed lines will go a long way towards eliminating fuel system problems. The flex line from the frame to the pump should be inspected and replaced if cracked, and the hard line going back to the tank should be inspected for rust or holes and the tank should be cleaned and possibly coated if need be.

Posted on: 2010/5/25 8:51
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved