Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 210

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 102 103 104 (105) 106 107 108 ... 259 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well I think the starter is also loud as I am running 12v through a 6v started. But I will check the starter to see what I find there.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 23:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Today was a rainy day garage clean up one.

I needed to do a little rearranging in the garage to better fit both the equipment i have in there, and also the phase where the car is at. One thing I needed was just more vertical call space from the floor up.

So I moved 3 wall cabinets from the left side of the garage and mounted them high over the 16ft workbench on the right side of the garage. This allows the cabinets to occupy the unused wall-space above the bench, and frees up the left hand wall for taller equipment.

Also I bid farewell to my free standing HF part washer. I really didn't use it as much as I thought I would, and it really was in the way. Also the recirc pump went bad on it. So out on the curb it went. Someone stopped and picked it up within 10 mins.

Now with the wall cabinets, and part washer out of the way, I was able to move the rolling tool boxes, drill press, and media blaster down. This left a space on the floor up against the wall that was a perfect fit to store all the new (to me) interior. So I stacked all the pallet wrapped seats pieces, door panels, and other pieces there and covered with a couple of blankets for further protection. This location will keep them out of the way and protected until they are ready to go in to the car.

Now that I am not tripping over everything, hopefully I can get back to work on the car. I am against a deadline now, as my vanity plates have arrived at the local DMV office. But I cannot pick them up unless I have a titled, registered car to put them on. So I have 30 days, or they are forfeited. Grrrr.

So the DMV had better prepare for a bare-assed, smoking, clacking beast to show up in their verification lane soon.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 19:54
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
BigKev wrote:.......I am against a deadline now, as my vanity plates have arrived at the local DMV office. But I cannot pick them up unless I have a titled, registered car to put them on. So I have 30 days, or they are forfeited. Grrrr.

So the DMV had better prepare for a bare-assed, smoking, clacking beast to show up in their verification lane soon.
Kev,

Should be a sight to behold, so take plenty of pic's!

Posted on: 2011/1/2 23:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Doug Chaney
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Now that I am not tripping over everything, hopefully I can get back to work on the car. I am against a deadline now, as my vanity plates have arrived at the local DMV office. But I cannot pick them up unless I have a titled, registered car to put them on. So I have 30 days, or they are forfeited. Grrrr.

Kev -

I don't know if it still applies, but it used to be in Calif. that any law enforcement officer could verify the car. If you have a friend in law enforcement... A CHP officer, maybe...

Doug

Posted on: 2011/1/3 10:51
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Calif changed all the laws last year, and now even AAA is not permitted to do the VIN verifications anymore. Basically you only have three options: take the car to DMV, make an appointment with the CHP field office, and take the car there, or have a 3rd party licensed VIN Verifier check it (similar to a Notary). I have decided to go with that 3rd option. The Verified will come out to my place on Saturday and check the car. Then with the forms in place, I should be able to complete the remainder of the process at AAA.

My fear with going to the DMV for verification is that the yahoo there may not understand that the car was last registered using the Engine number, get nervous and punt it to the CHP (which happens in those cases). Then I am looking at 4-6 weeks to get an appointment slot with the CHP and hope they don't give me the run around.

I already spoke to the Verifier, and gave him the backstory on the car, and told him what paperwork I had. He didn't think it was going to be any problem after he did the VIN inspection. Fingers crossed!

Posted on: 2011/1/3 16:29
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Doug Chaney
See User information
Good luck on Saturday, then.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 17:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Putting wacko CA laws aside, my experience with NV DMV VIN inspectors is that they really like old cars. It kind of breaks up they day with them, it seems. By the time you chit-the-chat about your cool old car, they are not paying that much attention to minor details like the engine number not matching the body number (if they can even find either one). At least that's in NV.

Good luck with door #3.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/1/3 18:05
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Wow, even NY is easy compared to that, we just take in a tracing. Had to do it with my MG. VT is even easier, they don't even title anything over 10 yrs old, you just take in a bill of sale with VIN on it and you get a temp reg, then a perm reg card in the mail. Good luck with the Verifier!

Posted on: 2011/1/4 16:52
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Door #3 was the correct choice.

VIN Verifier came this morning, and 10 mins later I had the signed paperwork from him. With that in hand I ran down to AAA and was able to get the car registered and titled. $69 for the registration and $45 for title paperwork fees. Left the office with a set of new license plates, a registration slip and a tag for the plates. Official title will arrive in the mail. Took about 15 mins.

Now I have to wait until the end of the week (according to the AAA Lady) for the Title and Registration information to be fully propagated in the computer system, then I can exchange these new plates for my vanity plates that are setting at the local DMV office. Vanity plates will read: 5 4 C L I P R

I am sure waiting in line to simply exchange the plates at the actual DMV will be the longest and most painful part of this.

Any recommendations on specialty Insurance for these cars? Or should I just add it to my existing policy?

Posted on: 2011/1/8 17:50
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Congratulations Kev - as for insurance, I went with Hagerty Collector Car Insurance. You can find them on the web. I've been pleased but have not had to submit a claim or use really test their services. They have my policy underwritten by Essentia Insurance Company. The policy includes flat bed towing which is important for obvious reasons. I'd compare prices, before adding it to your current policy. I was pleased with rates. Kool plates.

Posted on: 2011/1/8 21:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 102 103 104 (105) 106 107 108 ... 259 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved