Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 148

William Grosz, su8overdrive, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 67 68 69 (70) 71 72 73 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 2nd February 2011

Well today Appin 'appined. John arrived in his '40 110 while I was drilling out seven of the bolt holes on the water jacket side plate of Mat's '34 so they could be re-tapped for larger bolts for the Alternator mounting plate. Before drilling though there had been a lot of measuring of the depth of the present bolt holes to avoid what happened to Kevin's '35 some years ago when a hole had been drilled out but ended up going through the cylinder wall. It was patched up at the time but eventually the plug came out and destroyed the piston in that cylinder. Wade didn't want a repeat of that because he was the one who ended up having to fix the mistakes of others. So measuring was of prime importance, including measuring the depth of the bolt holes in the engine in the spare chassis under the carpark ramp outside. A depth of 18mm was consistent for all holes checked so that's what we worked with. In fact Wade then handed over the drilling duties to moi, I think just in case there was a slip and a cylinder was punctured then I could be blamed! Fortunately the drilling went without incident with no drill-throughs. Also found a difference between the side plate in Mat's '34 and the one pulled off the spare engine. Being that the depth of the oil cooler/filter mounting is 25mm on Mat's side plate cover and 30mm on the spare. Just as well for all that checking.

But when John arrived tools were downed on the '34 and his '40 was brought into the workshop for some OD therapy. John's been having trouble with the OD, at one point purchasing a used OD Solenoid but it only lasted about 500 miles. He has now purchased a rebuilt Solenoid from MM's and arrived with this in hand and a temporary plug where the solenoid mounts on the OD. John had also replaced a fuse in an inline fuse holder. First things Wade did was to check the OD circuit diagram with the set up on the '40, that looked OK. Then checking for power and continuity and here problems were encountered. Tracked down in part to the new fuse of John's, it was too short not giving a connection. Fuse replaced, there was still a circuit problem which was traced to the switch on the OD Lock Out. This switch is located near the Lock Out Knob under the dash so Wade assumed his upside under a Packard dash position and removed it. When tested on the bench however it worked. But closer examination showed that the switch surface which rubs against the OD cable to operate the switch had become worn over the years it only worked when pushed well in. Solution was to remove the washer between the switch body and OD cable housing where the switch mounts allowing the switch to fully depress. Next came installation of the MM Solenoid in the '40, but first a bench test which it passed with flying colours. John then went under the '40 connecting up the Solenoid wires while Wade trick wired the OD Relay on the firewall and stationed me with a battery and jumper leads for the vital energisation process so the Solenoid can be engaged in the OD housing. Worked first time, but....... the Solenoid wouldn't bolt to the housing. There is only one way the Solenoid can be bolted on and of course it turned out to be 180 degrees off. It looks to be symmetrical, but isn't, being only slightly different but enough of a difference to make a difference. Rotated 180 degrees, energisation checked, and bolted in. A test drive confirming that OD is working as it should and kick down functioning properly.

With John on his way home turned back to the '34 and the alternator fitting. First tapped the re-drilled holes to 5/16" 24tpi NF, but having a tapered tap there wasn't as much thread tapped in the effort as was required. Also looked at the waterflow situation as Dave, O_D, had mentioned. The original setup on the '34 provides for the cooled water from the water pump to flow into the top chamber at the front of the side plate. From there it moves through the oil cooler/filter housing and returns to the bottom part of the side plate. It then flows to the rest of the engine through strategically placed holes in the plate structure which target the exhaust valve areas of the engine block. I think that's right, or reasonably so, if not feel free to correct me. After a little restructuring of the internal side plate architecture, coolant flow will continue with distribution as intended by Packard. Then......Wade found an intermediate 5/16" 24tpi NF tap which by subtle grinding is now in effect a bottoming or plug 5/16" 24tpi NF tap and which was used to re-tap all the threads already taper tapped. The basic fabrication and mounting work is now complete, but still need to source new longer H/T bolts for the re-tapped holes, spacers for between the mounting plate and the side plate, measure and measure and measure again for the positioning of the HQ Holden alternator bracket on the mounting plate, drill holes for same, find a tensioning bracket to suit and mount that, a suitable length drive belt for the alternator and of course the electrical wiring work. Although a lot of work still needs doing I think the hardest part of this project is done.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.38 KB)
226_4d4901176728d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.15 KB)
226_4d490127ba1bb.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.32 KB)
226_4d49013dc22d0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.70 KB)
226_4d4901500adcd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.11 KB)
226_4d4901699e2d2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.32 KB)
226_4d490193d68cd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.25 KB)
226_4d4901b53a727.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.39 KB)
226_4d4901c1a699f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.50 KB)
226_4d4901d980a3b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.55 KB)
226_4d4901ef049a2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.05 KB)
226_4d490212c4ddd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (48.81 KB)
226_4d49022723b1a.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/2/2 2:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
Mal, I am disappointed to not have recently featured in your thread, but I guess this is what happens when I turn up on a weekend when you are not there! Surely, though, the additional floor space and lack of a 282 motor and accessories to trip over has not gone unnoticed?

I was planning to start my own project thread regarding the 1935 GP car build, but was going to wait until I had some photos to post, but hell, if I am going to be ignored here I might as well strike out on my own! LOL

New thread coming up!

Posted on: 2011/2/2 5:42
If at First You Don't Succeed - Skydiving is Not For You...

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Matt,
Please forgive what can only be described as a major oversight. Although I'd noticed there was more floorspace available but put it down to Wade having done a tidy-up of the area. I did notice the Engine Analyser frame was "further back" but this obscured the engines, now one short, which were in that area and it didn't click there must be an explanation for that. Don't think of that as an excuse but rather an explanation of my inattention or lack of observational skills. I'm looking forward to seeing the Packard Biposto as it metamorphosises from a collection of diverse parts, pieces and the fruits of your imagination.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 15:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Hi Mal,

you now have me worried... Is there much damage? From the post, im guessing that something may have hit the 34? Am I on the right track?

If so, not to worry i'm sure it can fixed

Posted on: 2011/2/3 0:37

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Mat,

No, now you have me worried! What have I written that gives you that impression? Only thing I can think of is the front axle, but that was mentioned some months ago. If it's recently, please direct me to the source of your concern and I'll alleviate it if I can.

Posted on: 2011/2/3 2:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
Ha, that's a little bit funny! Mat (with just one T - poor chap) thought you were talking to him when you were talking to me, Snapey, whos first name is Matt (with two T's - as is proper). Sorry for the confusion Mat - I can only imagine what went through you head when you read:-

"Matt,
OOOPS! Please forgive what can only be described as a major oversight. "

But fear not, I saw your car the other day (a lovely thing it is) when I was in the workshop picking up the old 282 motor and bits that were laying around getting in the way and it is being very well cared for.

Posted on: 2011/2/3 6:00
If at First You Don't Succeed - Skydiving is Not For You...

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Looks like there was a mat mix-up. It all makes sense now. When I was born the story goes we were too poor to afford the 2nd T in Matthew so I got Mathew - with one 'T'

Sorry about confusion Mal, & thanks for clarifying that Snappy - Matt

Cheers,
Mat

Posted on: 2011/2/3 13:18

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 4th February 2011

A Packard free day yesterday with the grand-daughters coming over and providing some relief from the heat with "Poppy", aka Ozstatman, going for a swim in the pool with them. Contrary to another thread, much of Australia has been experiencing very hot temperatures for about a week now, with it set to continue here in Sydney until Sunday. Temperatures have been in the range of mid to high 30's and low 40's Celsius. The elder of the two grand-daughters also told me a joke, she's 4yo, and I just had to pass it on:

Why did the mechanic sleep under the car?
Because he had to get up oily in the morning!

But.....back to Packards. Yesterday Wade had picked up the 2 water pumps which had gone for machining before Christmas, one for Barry's '38 Twelve, the other for Phyllis's '36 120. Wade had taken the alternator mounting plate with him for countersinking of six holes to suit the side plate on Mat's '34, this should be ready Monday. He also picked up some H/T bolts for the mounting plate but has since discovered Lee Bros gave him 3/8" instead of 5/16" bolts. And Tony Walker, Noel's mate, had dropped by about the door lock he'd picked up a couple of weeks ago that he's fixing for Noel's '39.

Wade had started re-assembling the water pumps yesterday but hadn't completed them. So today the Twelve pump assembly was completed before turning to the 120's pump. Everything looked to being going together well until the ceramic seal wouldn't fit. Looks like the press fit sleeve machined to accept the seal isn't the right size so the pump housing, sleeve and seal will be returned on Monday for remedial work. Will also exchange the 3/8" bolts on that trip.

Unable to continue work on Noel's '39 or Mat's '34 turned to The Fossil instead. Because the replacement body and mudguards(fenders) had come from a non-sidemount equipped car, the fenders had been modified by the panelbeater to suit. While more recently the valance panels had been trimmed to accommodate the mounting brackets. That left the brackets, essentially bent steel rods that stabilise the the mounting brackets, to be fitted. To do so requires a hole to be drilled in each side of the cowl. Careful measuring was the order of the day with the holes required being 10&1/4" from the base of the cowl and 1" back from the vertical moulding crease. The spot was marked, centre popped and drilling commenced. First with a small diameter drill then stepping up through a number of sizes to 3/8". Aim is to a have 7/8" holes which will seat rubber grommets through which the stabilising brackets pass to their anchoring points on the internal cowl frame. From 3/8" stepped up to 9/16" and then 5/8" but from there it became increasingly harder to use larger size drill bits. The larger bits really bit, grabbed and jammed in the metal causing some alarm, so discretion was observed and drilling stopped at that point. The thin section of panel metal is obviously not a happy combination when confronted with the wide flutes of larger sized drills. But Wade has a tapered reamer type bit which he'll bring in on Monday and use that for the final drilling required.

During this drill, pun intended, Noel arrived. And once again he blamed me for something. Seems he didn't know his mate Tony had been at the workshop on Thursday because he hadn't seen it here in a post on "Wade's Workshop". Noel had to actually incur the cost of a phonecall to Tony to find out that news. Well Noel, I didn't know either until this morning when Wade told me about it. If you think it will help, I'll polish up the crystal ball to a brilliant shine but I wouldn't depend on it.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.83 KB)
226_4d4b77afd0048.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.92 KB)
226_4d4b77beca77b.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (14.76 KB)
226_4d4b77e79f442.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2011/2/3 22:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hobbs
See User information
The step bit will help tremendously. I have a few of those laying around. They are worth their weight in gold several times over!

Posted on: 2011/2/4 9:34
1933 Packard Sedan
Registry
Project Blog

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 7th February 2011

Only a couple of hours at the workshop this morning, most of which was taken up with a road trip. But before the road trip put the Optima battery out of my '41 on a battery charger because, when checked, it was registering a charge of only just over 2V. Yesterday, jumped into the '41, to go for a leisurely Sunday morning drive to pick up fresh bread rolls and to enjoy the ride, but nothing, not a squeak, no horn and no lights! With that I've pulled the battery out and brought it down to the shop where it'll be charged up overnight and go back in tomorrow. Once in I'll check for any discharge indicating on the ammeter then if indicated track anything untoward from there. Wade suggests I've most likely left a door ajar, not closed the glovebox properly or something similar resulting in the battery gradually and continuously draining.

Roadtrip was to 1) Exchange the 3/8" bolts for the alternator mounting plate for 5/16", mission accomplished, 2) Pickup the alternator mounting plate from Anglade Engineering on which they'd countersunk six mounting holes, also mission accomplished, and 3) Drop off the 120 water pump, also at Anglade, for the remedial work required for seal fitment, done, but should take a couple of days for the work to be done on the water pump.

Back at the workshop trial fitted the alternator mounting plate to Mat's '34 using the 5/16" bolts. But a minor problem was encountered, they were 1/2" too long! Couldn't believe it! We'd measured the requirements a number of times for thread, diameter and length, in fact reducing the required length from 2&3/4" to 2&1/2" before purchasing what turned out to be 3/8" bolts(their fault). Seeing I was leaving early I returned to Lee Bros where the counter guy told me, before I even opened my mouth, what I had in the bag. Explained the situation and was able to exchange the 2&1/2's for 2". Also, before leaving the workshop, cut a MBM gasket for sealing the alternator mounting plate with the water jacket side plate.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.76 KB)
226_4d4f73e9d3a10.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.74 KB)
226_4d4f73f6c632e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/2/6 23:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 67 68 69 (70) 71 72 73 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved