Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 105

Todd W. White, Packard5687, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Gas Tank Blues
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I second Owen Dyneto on calling Mike Dulinski for a better used tank, then send it to a radiator shop for the Re-Nu process, tell them to go light on the exterior of the tank. While you are at it, given the condition of the tank I would yank the old line out, it could be full of pin holes that will vex you at the least opportune time, and get a fresh fuel pump kit from then-now automotive--think of the fuel system as a chain, only as good as its weakest link. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the bottom chamber of your fuel pump is packed with little brown rust particles, so as to resemble a used coffee maker filter basket.

Posted on: 2011/2/18 0:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Sounds great! Is Mike Dulinski's contact info on the site? As new as I am to Packards, this is the first time I've heard his name.

I hooked up my compressor to the fuel line and blew it out into a cloth bag. Mostly gas believe it or not with a few black chunks. However, I'll take your advise and put in a new line.

Already have a fuel pump kit on order from Then and Now. I was really amazed the pump worked at all. Had it hooked to a 6 gallon can but it did deposit black chunks in the sediment bowl. Got a carb kit and I'm going through the carb now though it looks real clean. Not sure about the "nooks and crannies" - hence the kit.

My thanks to Owen and Mr. Pushbutton and everyone else who have offered help and support and answers. With everyones help, well get her on the road yet!

Posted on: 2011/2/18 0:57
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
mike dulinski at 218-721-4631. Mnpacsler@aol.com

Posted on: 2011/2/18 1:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I think I tracked Mike down and sent him a PM IF he goes by MikeC. Time will tell.

Posted on: 2011/2/18 1:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
You'd be better off just calling Mike directly. He doesn't spend much time on the computer.

I was just at his place on Monday and I saw a stack of tanks out in the snow.

Posted on: 2011/2/18 1:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you Keegan, and of course, my thanks again to Howard.
I've give him a call.
I gotta say that my tank didn't look all that bad before it was cleaned. Nothing quite like the deceptive qualities of grime!

Posted on: 2011/2/18 2:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Last night I sent an e-mail to Classic Car Auto Parts regarding the problem with Packard gas tanks. It was Classic's site where I found the Chevy tanks I talked about earlier.

This morning I had a reply waiting for me. They asked for the dimensions and pictures of our tank and said they would see what they could do.

Needless to say, I fired off a reply stating the number of years and models that use this tank. I also went on a bit about what a problem it is for Packard owners and that no one makes a replacement tank. I also said that the Tri-5 Chevy tank is almost perfect except for the inlet pipe being on the top rather than the bottom like Packard's. Of course, I also offered to do anything else they needed. I mean, if they want me to ship them my tank, they've got it!

I'm probably reading more into their reply than is there but they are a company that makes tanks for the early Olds Toro so maybe......

I'll let everyone know when I hear back.

Posted on: 2011/2/18 12:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I would be interested in a repro of the OE tank, but not a substitue or approximation thereof.

I'm assuming you know that the two halves of the tank are the same basic stamping, but merely "finished" differently - depending on which openings are needed.

Also, the tank seat and "fitting" for the sending unit should be the same as what GM used. Some 20 years ago, I replaced a sending unit in one of my V8s, and obtained a new locking ring and seal as used on a Chevy/GMC truck, but can't recall the exact application.

I'm surprised that no one has previously repro'd the tank, which fits so many years and models. Of course, the devil is always in the details.

Posted on: 2011/2/18 12:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Jim, thanks VERY MUCH for taking the initiative. I've said on more than one occasion that someone with a severe gas tank problem should contact the makers of the repro tanks for other makes and see if they can be interested in making the 1951-56 Packard tanks, which are all the same part# (443145) except for the 2401-02-06 (426259). Certainly the demand is growing with time, and I suspect a lot of folks like myself who don't have a gas tank problem now might buy one for the day that we do. Actually, I'm a bit surprised that Kanters or Max hasn't jumped on this opportunity. Plenty of old tanks around for patterns, and I assume the original engineering drawings are also available from the usual sources. The originals were terne plate, but there are many suitable alternative materials.

It will be interesting to see what comes of your inquiry, please by all means keep us posted.

Posted on: 2011/2/18 12:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Also glad you talked to them and hope it turns out well. It should if there is something simple to do with one of their existing tanks or dies but if it turns out they have to do a new stamping, then will be interesting to see if they will do a small run or if a quantity order is needed.

Posted on: 2011/2/18 14:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved