Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
181 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 180

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 56 Senior front shocks?
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
ON GAS CHARGED SHOCKS

FROM THE MONROE SHOCK WEBSITE

"...gas charged shocks / struts contain the same amount of oil as standard hydraulic units do. Gas pressure is added to the unit in order to control a condition referred to as "shock fade," which occurs when the oil in a shock or strut foams due to agitation, excessive heat, and low pressure areas which develop behind the piston (aeration). The gas pressure compresses air bubbles trapped within the oil until they are so small that they do not affect the shock's performance. This allows the unit to ride better and to perform more consistently." END

The difference in ride quality experienced immediately with gas charged shocks vs non-gas shocks is due to different valving (if any). On a rough or washboard road gas shocks will not fade due to aeration. On a smooth road if the valving is the same there will be little difference if any.

ON H/D SHOCKS ON A T/L CAR

In the late 60's I built the ultimate ( I thought) V8. Took a '55 400, put a '56 Caribbean interior/dash/power windows in it. Bought a 4 1/4" bore block with forged 12:1 pistons from Pat Ronco/Ronco Rambler in PA who "owned" the dirt track races in his area with a Ford jalopy/Packard V8 power. Found a new hot solid lifter cam, 2x4's,3 sped column shift form a Clipper, explosion-proof clutch, '56 twin traction and NOS '56 HD front and rear shocks.

Well, it made lots of nice sounds and when I pushed it there were castanets galore under the hood. When I hit a bump the whole body resonated and the windshield gasket made unhappy noises. Put in regular shocks and all was well again except the castanets were still there.

ONe year at a national meet Bill Allison who invented T/L spoke and said do not use H/D shocks on a T/L car. Amen.

A GENERAL NOTE ON SHOCKS

Aftermarket shocks, including Delco, are spec'd by compressed length, extended length and end types. If I recall correctly there is a shock part # that fits a Corvair and Cadillac or some other diverse vehicles in the Delco aftermarket. So much for specific applications.

Shocks are needed for several reasons, mainly to keep the tires in contact with the pavement for handling and braking. Also to absorb shocks from bumps and holes and to keep the car from "floating"

Subject: *
Name/Email: *

Posted on: 2011/2/27 18:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There is no secret to finding properly-sized tubular shock absorbers for any vehicle. You need only know the maximum extended and minimum compressed lengths (measure from old shock) and the method of fastening at the top and bottom, of which there are only 3 in common use. Just take this information to any decent parts store and any parts guy worth his salt should be able to use that information to give you what's available, and from those you can pick based on specification, reputation, etc. You'll probably have more choices to pick from for the fronts than the rears where the max and min lengths will limit the choices.

I have a strong preference for simple, gas-filled standard duty shocks on torsion-bar Packards.

Posted on: 2011/2/27 18:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
How many of you have bought shocks in the last three years?

Whether you go into autozone or NAPA parts are now found by entering the brand, the year and the model to a young man with a marginal grasp of English.

He looks on a computer into which (perhaps for chuckles; possibly for spite) someone has indeed listed Packard, 1956, Patrician. If you are lucky, it will give you windshield wtper blades: if you are phenominally lucky they will be in stock and fit.

As far as he can tell, 1956 Packard Patricans (anything but PATRICIAN) did not use shock absorbers. If he is friendly he will point out something else you didn't know, that your car be old.

Sadly, I am unable to buy shocks in 1973. If I have a current part number they can look them up on their computer.

What really need is a current part number, or at least a recent number that can be tracked, not the bore and stroke of the damned thing. More that the number. if possible I'd like to know whether it worked well for you.

PLEASE!

Posted on: 2011/2/27 22:12
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For Monroe shocks, this is what RockAutohttp://www.rockauto.com/ says fits. For what it's worth they also mention the same shocks for a 55. No adapters mentioned for either though.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.57 KB)
209_4d6b165fd3e17.jpg 1077X217 px

Posted on: 2011/2/27 22:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
According to my recordds my 56 Executive has FRONT: Gabriel G63359 which equals a G60017. (not sure why my records show and "equal" number. THAT IS A 1997 part #. They were $43/pair in 1997.

I'll have to look at my other record book for the rears.

Posted on: 2011/2/27 22:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Looking for parts for 50+ year old, low-volume orphan cars like Packards through modern, mass-market parts stores is a real crap shoot in the 21st century.

So, I ran the Gabriel numbers thorugh their online where-used e-catalog. 45653 is a dead-end, but 82066, in their Classic Shock line, shows a number of rear applications:

1960-65 American Motors Ambassador
1961-66 American Motors Classic
1965-66 American Motors Marlin
1953-54 Cadillac DeVille
1952-54 Cadillac Series 60 Fleetwood
1952-54 Cadillac Series 62
1952-54 Cadillac Series 75 Fleetwood
1955-57 Chevrolet Bel Air
1955-57 Chevrolet One-Fifty Series
1950-53 Chevrolet Truck - 3100, 3200, 3600, 3800
1955-57 Chevrolet Two-Ten Series
1987-88 Isuzu Trooper 4WD

For only $159.50 for a set of four gas-charged shocks from Kanter's, I'd bite the bullet and get 'em there.

Posted on: 2011/2/27 23:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you don't want to try the current Monroe numbers that HH56 provided, you can always just buy a set from Kanter's catalog, and I assume Max has them as well. You'll just be paying them a little extra for having done the sourcing research.

Speaking with Randy Berger today, he's got a couple of the adapters to adapt 55 front shocks to 56 cars, perhaps he'll post a picture. I understand it's a very robust forged piece. How about it, Randy?

Posted on: 2011/2/27 23:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Always glad to oblige Dave. These adapters will allow 55 shocks to be mounted in a 56 front-end. Apparently 56 shocks with that long "T" that mounts to the lower control arm were hard to find. I think these adapters were for other vehicles also.

Attach file:

jpg  (132.90 KB)
23_4d6b2cab647ec.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2011/2/28 0:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Wow! I really appreciate the offer, but in the long run I will probably go to Fred or Max.

I like to buy locally when it is practical, which was what I was after here.

As to the adapters, I really appreciate the offer, but since the regulars are available I'll stick to them.

One question remains: originally the valving in junior and senior shocks was different. Today that doesn't seem to be an issue. Why? When the car was made it was important enough to complicate the parts inventory....

Posted on: 2011/2/28 14:34
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I just supplied a picture of the adapters - no offer was implied.

Posted on: 2011/2/28 14:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved