Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 213

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Vapor lock poll
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Both #1 and #2, only after I eat beans..

Posted on: 2009/7/2 8:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
NO
NO

And what is the real question you are asking?

Posted on: 2009/7/2 9:08
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
2009 affirmatron
2007 negatron

Posted on: 2009/7/3 15:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
No
No
-stock fuel system, no electric pump.

Posted on: 2009/7/4 9:10
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dave Merrick
See User information
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would share my experience on my '51 300.

The Previous owner told me "Don't shut it off at the fuel pump, or you'll be stuck there" I drove this car home about 400 miles. I didn't turn it off at the pump, but did when I went into the convenience store (out of habit). And sure enough, I had to sit there for 2.5 hours until it cooled down.

After reading all the vapor lock/ percolation threads, I started to hunt down the problem. The P.O. had already installed an electric pusher pump to unsuccessfully combat the issue. I then proceeded to insulate all the fuel lines and add heat shields and everything I could think of to combat the problem. No. Luck.

Finally I said to myself "this can't be the problem, what else could be affected by heat?" Well as it turns out my first guess was right. THE PRIMARY IGNITION COIL!

Autozone just happened to have the coil in-stock. I stuck it in and the problem went away forever. It never was vapor lock at all. Moral of the story is; How old is your ignition coil?

Posted on: 2011/3/12 11:39
----------------
1951 Packard 300 (2472)
"Built to outlast them all..."
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The post war ign coil seems to have been reported a source of many intermittent problems. Don't know if this was common in other makes since in many cases they used the same unit. It may be a Packard problem because of the coil being so close to if not directly mounted on a heat source in most instances.

Posted on: 2011/3/12 11:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Dave,
A coil is something I tend to not see or think about. They don't need servicing, adjusting, or lubricating. They don't move, make noise or need fluid level checks.
They are rather central however to ignition, start-up, and combustion. All of which are required for operation of the vehicle.

Glad you shared the experience. Makes us all more aware.

DanL

Posted on: 2011/3/12 12:57
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Dave Merrick, correct!, that's the classic symptom of coil failure and it has often been confused with vapor lock. And I don't know if there's really a tendency for it to be more common in postwar models. The prewar cars with the coil or coils mounted directly on the cylinder head certainly had common coil failures as the cars reached old age.

Posted on: 2011/3/12 13:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Don't believe in it. No such thing.

Posted on: 2011/3/12 15:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm not one to preach safety issues but as a side note:

It is illegal (in most areas that i know of) to pump gas into a vehicle while it is still running. There is some degree of danger to it depending on the vehicle and circumstances.

Under no circumstance should one refuel engines with gas tanks that are close to the engine such as lawnmowers, motysickels etc. It is EXTREMELY dangerous to do so on those type engine applications.

Posted on: 2011/3/12 15:51
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved