Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 151

Ken_P, Ozstatman, longjohn, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard 8 - 1938 by Franay
Just popping in
Just popping in

Sophie
See User information
My dad is the proud owner of a 1938 Coupe by Franay.
You can find all the info on this link. It's in French, so if you need any details, I will be happy to translate.

http://www.motorlegend.com/salon-auto/salon-du-cabriolet-du-coupe-et-du-suv-2008/packard-eight-coupe-chauffeur-franay/2,14828,14829.html

Even though he knows quite a lot about this car, I was wondering if I could find out more (for ex. do you know if there's a way to trace back the original shipment from the factory to France? Or maybe old photos of this car, etc...)

Also my dad is looking for the original trunk/luggages, do you know where I can find them?
He also mentionned some tool box that was given to Packard owners?

I am probably the only member of this forum who knows closed to nothing about Packard so I am very sorry if my questions/requests make no sense.

thanks,

Posted on: 2011/11/14 14:21
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard 8 - 1938 by Franay
Just popping in
Just popping in

Sophie
See User information
Here's the link
packard franay

Posted on: 2011/11/14 14:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the picture, it's a lovely example of fine coachwork on a Packard chassis. Can't help you with your questions but here's a 39 Super Eight by Franay, thought you'd enjoy this picture - there are similarities as well as big differences. This particular car has an interesting WW II history, having been used as a staff car by both the Germans and the US. One interesting interior feature is that it has a steel safe in the rear compartment. This car is currently in the Marano Collection.

Your vehicle is, at least in US parlance for body styles, not a coupe. It's probably best described as a 4-door cabriolet or perhaps even a formal sedan.

Attach file:

jpg  (82.79 KB)
177_4ec16d62d9eb8.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (72.58 KB)
177_4ec16d73dc08c.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2011/11/14 14:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Sophie wrote:....Even though he knows quite a lot about this car, I was wondering if I could find out more (for ex. do you know if there's a way to trace back the original shipment from the factory to France? Or maybe old photos of this car, etc...)....

G'day Sophie,
to PackardInfo.

In June the Euro Packard Meet participants visited the Chateau De La Bourbansais.

Quote:
....Quoting from the rally book, "Packard was one of the most popular luxury automobile Marques in France from 1928 to the 50's ". These Packards were almost exclusively imported by the establishment Berbezat and thanks to a great deal of effort by Jerome, we visited the Chateau De La Bourbansais owned by the Berbezat/De Lorgeril family since 1583. The highlight of this visit was an exhibit of Packard memorabilia from the Berbezat business especially assembled for the rally by descendents of the Berbezat family. In the centre of the room was a hand written ledger giving details of all the Packards sold by Berbezat from 1937. I understand that at least one participant was able to find his car listed and learn that it had been purchased new by a famous person....
Accordingly, with records available from 1937, there is a chance your Dad's car is listed. I would suggest you address your queries through Jerome Harvey President-Founder of the Packard Automobile Club de France.

Hope this helps.

And.....as a quid pro quo, and of course only if it's OK with your Dad, could you include his '38 Franay in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo?

Posted on: 2011/11/14 15:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Sophie
See User information
Thanks for the nice photos! I'll show them to my Dad when I travel back to France next month. I'll also register his car on the owner's registry. He doesn't speak English so he won't be able to do it himself.

Thank-you so much for all the info. Hopefully I'll find some piece of new "history" about my dad's car he doesn't know about yet!

Sophie

Posted on: 2011/11/14 21:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved