Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

door striker
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i was fiddling with my driver's door last night. trying to see if i have the gap right....i don't, need to move the door more rearward so the gear hits the striker with more contact area.

why do some door strikers have metal for the teeth and others have plastic inserts? running change? redesign?

from what i can tell the clippers and 55s had plastic and 56 was changed to metal. i have metal, which doesn't seem right. probably was changed out.

one thing to notice, the unusual wear on the teeth, like it was chipped.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.89 KB)
491_52725edd3e7f1.jpg 576X768 px

Posted on: 2013/10/31 8:45
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Re: door striker
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Its simple, someone put a 56 striker on your 55. I like the 1951-55 strikers better because you can change just the nylon insert instead of a complete striker.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 8:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yes i'm the one watching all your stikers.

seems to me if the plastic broke it would be a pita to replace (yes i know you have them), but what about 10 years from now when one breaks on me...etc etc..

one other question....why do some have backing plates that go on first and others have small plates, etc etc. mine has a solid big backing plate.

i noticed the 56 one you have on ebay has that small plate, but it looks like it goes on the front and not the back based on the bevel in teh screw hole. my 56 one doesn't have that and the bevel is there.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 8:51
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

cli55er wrote:
yes i'm the one watching all your stikers.

seems to me if the plastic broke it would be a pita to replace (yes i know you have them), but what about 10 years from now when one breaks on me...etc etc..

one other question....why do some have backing plates that go on first and others have small plates, etc etc. mine has a solid big backing plate.

I suppose the all metal was supposed to be stronger but it seems that metal to metal would wear more. As to being a PITA to change, I'm thinking just the opposite. With plastic you remove one screw and maybe a small plate to slip old nylon out and new in. With the complete striker you have to remove it totally and then realign all so the door closes properly.

The metal plates are shims as detailed herehttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/STB/56T-3.pdf

Posted on: 2013/10/31 8:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
by PITA...i meant finding the part in several years or trying to keep your door closed if the nylon cracks off during a cruise.

thanks for the explanation on the plate, very informative. i had a suspicion that was what it was for. i have a pretty thick one..probably the 1/8th. i can tell you that from the wear on the teeth of the striker...it was only making contact by about half of the width of the teeth. hoepfully i can move the door rearward a bit more. as it is now it isn't even contacting half of the teeth, door is def too far forward.

hell, i can't even find the passenger's side....if my memory serves...it had nylon...but i can't remember. its gotta be in another box somewhere.

again i bow to those that have more knowledge and know the letters more then me.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 9:04
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I looked at that small metal plate you mention. I believe that was part of the 56 change to "safety" locks. The complete lock assy isn't shown but this illustration shows the door portion with a narrower wheel. The plate on the striker was steel instead of pot metal. When door was closed, the plate overlapped the wheel in the narrow inner gap so the lock was less likely to pop open.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.53 KB)
209_52726608f0dd6.jpg 419X492 px

Posted on: 2013/10/31 9:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i'd say that was a good improvement. but thanks for the visual....because mine do not have narrow wheels. i didn't realize i could learn so much about a door striker!

Posted on: 2013/10/31 9:19
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The nylon ones wear much less than the all metal ones. In fact over time the metal ones wear so much that the contact pattern changes and the door won't open 'cause the teeth jam. You can often see this on the rear doors of 51-4 juniors. They don't particularly wear from opening and closing, but from the constant worry movement as the car is underway.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 9:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
very informative Ross, thanks!

Posted on: 2013/10/31 10:05
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I agree with Ross, the nylon ones are far superior in terms of longevity.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 10:53
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved