Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
29 user(s) are online (21 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 29

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 12 »

hph's 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Hi all, thinking of buying this car. A LOT of details to follow.

First of all, the is a bit of background needed. Three months ago, I went to a CL list just some miles from my house about a 55 Patrician for sale. In the same garage there was this 55 400 with a fresh paint job, but still (aesthetically) disassembled from painting. Long story short, I found out it was owned by a guy that passed 4 years ago, and eventually I was able to get in touch with his daughter and I have the option to buy it for $6000.

More background info:
Reyman's obituary post I wrote on here.
Vehicle registry post.
My thoughts when I went there 3 months ago.

"Recent" service history on the car (beginning c. 2005):
- Engine from a 56 Clipper installed, heads redone, new rings. Believed to have an Oldsmobile oil pump in it now.
- Replaced brake lines.
- Power brake rebuilt.
- Ultramatic rebuilt.
- Carb replaced.
- Replaced both rear axle bearings.

So last Thursday and yesterday I went there to check it out. I was able to get it started by replacing the fuel and cleaning the points, and with a bit of starting fluid. To me it sounds like it runs great (please see the videos and photos linked below). Starts easily, except for a couple of times later on. Maybe it was low on fuel, or vaporlocking? as I had driven it for a bit earlier that time.

Like I said, the car is in a disassembled state. I believe I was able to find everything, except:
- Both corrugated door trim panels (other 6 are there).
- Passenger side rocker panel trim.
- The trunk emblem, core, and key (I have the big chrome piece though).
- A door handle, and one of those circular door panel accents behind the window crank. (These I can get off my other car).

I laid out everything around the car in the pictures below so you can look. Also, a couple trim pieces seem to be missing their clips (short probably 5-10 total).

Overview of everything:
Instruments/accessories:
All work, but speedometer is "jumpy". All climate levers move fully. Rear fan switch works, but nothing happens. Front fan switch does not turn, but it's labeled and the blower is installed. Light switch works, except turn-to-dim. Power antenna does not work. Wipers are electric, originals included, but even the electric ones don't work. Seems there may be a short somewhere. Includes 2 radio sets (one missing a tube), knobs, rear speaker. Glovebox is there, no key. Horn works, button included. Turn signals don't work. Aftermarket A/C installed, but blower doesn't work. It worked when installed, so maybe it's disconnected? (TBH IDK why A/C was even installed in a PA car. )

Mechanical:
Car seems to run smooth. Took it out for a bit, both drive modes seem to work properly. Shifts smoothly. Whenever I shift into gear, engine slows down a good amount, almost seems like it's going to stall, but hasn't. IDK if normal, or if it needs a tune-up (surely it does anyway). Power steering seems to work when driving, but very whiney and not helpful at parking speeds. Brakes stop the car well, but the brake pedal is firmer than I would expect, so IDK if the power brakes are working. Play and travel are both quite small, again IDK if normal. E-brake needs adjustment. TL works correctly. Brake and Reverse lights work correctly, but need a bulb each. An aftermarket oil pressure gauge is installed, reads 60-65 PSI.

Stuff included:
- Various parts and documentation (see photos)
- There is a full set of replacement seals for everything on the car. Believed to have been purchased in 2005 but they still feel fine. Definitely good to have there.

I know this is quite a long and detailed post, hopefully everything makes sense. Let me know your thoughts on the car. Thanks everyone.

Posted on: 2022/9/11 9:48
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Re: hph's 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I'm having trouble with posting links to all the photos and videos. They are here, just copy+paste the links into your address bar, sorry for the inconvenience.

https://pastebin.com/d4NYX5Kb

Posted on: 2022/9/11 9:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
What do your guts say to you???

Posted on: 2022/9/11 11:10
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
To go for it.

But also to ask for other's opinions

Posted on: 2022/9/11 11:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
So your stomach is a touch indecisive.

If you're good with the reassembly, then grump a little about the price, buy the damned thing and haul it home. Register it, insure it, put the tags on it, back it out of the driveway and do a big smoky burn-out.

Well, maybe most of that.

Posted on: 2022/9/11 13:59
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I think the price is fine, and I don't think they'll go any lower. I just like to hear if anyone has anything to say.

Also this would be good for a project starter post anyway.

Posted on: 2022/9/11 14:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Unfortunately I couldn't see any of the photos as the page that is supposed to have them shows only the code, not the images themsleves.

Posted on: 2022/9/11 15:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
You have to copy+paste the links into the address bar.

It's annoying but I can't think of a better way, if I can't post them all right on here.

Posted on: 2022/9/11 16:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
That looks like a no brainer to me.

Posted on: 2022/9/11 21:45
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Yeah I told the seller I'm going to buy it. She lives in KY (car and I are in PA) so she'll title it down there and mail it to her friend up here. When he gets it I'll do the exchange with him. Would be nice if it gets here by Saturday so I can register it immediately at the DMV that's on my way upstate. Otherwise the DMV is like an hour out of my way.

Posted on: 2022/9/12 6:20
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved