Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
60 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 57

BigKev, Duncan Michael, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

ask the man that owns one
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ted
See User information
Hi,I am new to the forum and as the Packard slogan states I am here to ask a few questions. I am interested in buying a Packard and need to know what year I can purchase that will allow me to travel on the highways of Arizona. My Wife and I love the pre-war models however do they need to have over-drive on them or will a 37-39 straight 8 get me up and going?? also because of the wood grain in the pre-war models we would prefer this type of car. I would say our budget would be up to $20,000-25,000 dollars for the right car. That being said is there a certain year in the 50's that would do the job of getting up and down the freeways,,,Thank You in advance and wow what a great forum to receive all types of info,,Ted,,, P.S. reason for the buy of a Packard is I will be turning 65 next May and I thought I would start the hunt now,, also my dad worked for Packard back in Detroit,Michigan.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 13:45
 Top  Print   

Re: ask the man that owns one
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ted,
to PackardInfo. Whatever your reasons are for buying a Packard they are always the right ones. Great that your Dad has that direct connection to Packard too. We have a number of active members in Arizona who would have first hand knowledge of Packards which may be suitable for your requirements.

All that said, WHEN you purchase your Packard could you please include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/7/7 15:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ted
See User information
Thanks for the welcome, and I'd be more then happy and priviledged to post a picture and any and all info I get on the car. Hope all of the Az. memebers read this and can help me out.,,Thanks again!!

Posted on: 2010/7/7 15:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
What years did your dad work? That would be the years I would be looking for, the possibility he actually worked on the car.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 18:22
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Let me start to address you main question and I'm sure a lot of others will have comment. I don't know what "highway speeds" in AZ means, exactly.

Prewar cars for the 6 years or so before the advent of the 120 are pretty much 45-55 mph cars unless fitted with high speed rear end gears. An exception would be the lighter body styles that might have the 4.07 axle. Eights (aka "Standard Eights") don't cope with modern high speed gears as well as Super Eights or Twelves which have the advantage of more torque, this would apply to all the 320 engines thru 1939 though this is less of an issue in primarily flat terrain. The 120s thru to just before the intro of overdrive can manage 60 mph or so, in part due to shorter stroke and insert bearings. OD makes them 65+ cars with no strain. Most any postwar Packard, even w/o OD can do 65 routinely if in good condition, but I wouldn't recommend a steady diet of much higher speeds.

There is a lot more to say on this topic and others will have opinions and actual experience which would be worth listening to.

Best of luck of finding the Packard you want.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 19:09
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ted
See User information
Thank you both for your replys. My dad worked at Packards from July 8th 1934 till they closed the doors in 56.Its funny I seen that Packard pocket watch for sale on E-Bay and am looking at the exact same one that was given to my dad.Owen,thanks for the info on the engine types'. So if I read this correctly if there is a 1939 or later I could go 60 mph or so but not everyday or for a long time.The roads here are good since no ice or snow most speeds are 55-65-75 mph on the freeways and the drivers are always in a hurry. Now i don't mind driving fast but in a car of this type I want to make sure it is safe to drive,,,Thanks again for the info...Ted

Posted on: 2010/7/7 19:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hello Ted, welcome to the forum. I am an AZ local. Can give you some info. on local goings on and possible car avaliability. I have sent you a PM with contact into.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/7/7 21:27
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ted
See User information
Thanks Jim,,,got the info,,when is the best time to call?? Don't like to bother anyone when they are eating or work odd shifts,,thanks again..Ted

Posted on: 2010/7/7 21:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Ted, LOL; well I will be finished with supper in about 30 minutes. Feel free to give a call.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/7/7 21:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
55 and 56 Packards with V8's will perform with the best of any modern car EXCEPT for gas mileage. My 56 Executive has ran well over 22k miles and 80% of that is interstate travel at a SUSTASINED 70-80 mph for 30 to 200 mile stretches ata time. Some 6 or 7 years ago i had mine up to 105 mph for about 2 miles until i got worried about cops.

So my recommendation is the 55-56 Packards or Clippers.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 22:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved