Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

(1) 2 3 4 »

Windshield Washer
Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
Alright, so I checked out the production slip on the top of the glovebox in my car and, after it was de-coded, saw that the car had a windshield washer and a radio vacuum antenna. I just need to know what these two items look like on a 23rd series so that I can identfy them. Thanks!

Posted on: 2010/11/11 20:45
J.R. Buzzell

1949 23rd Series Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=867

Re: Windshield Washer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Look for little nozzles on the windshield stands and the antenna should be on the driver's side fender, and you should see a vacuum line running to it.

Posted on: 2010/11/11 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
So what would that look like exactly? Like, where are the nozzles?

Posted on: 2010/11/11 20:52
J.R. Buzzell

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=867

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The nozzles will be on the windshield wiper stands, and should be pretty obvious. You can also look under the dash to see if there's a small tube coming out of the bottom of the stands, which may or may not have rubber hoses connecting the pump and the tank to the washers. This is of course implying that all the other stuff is missing. If it's complete, there should be some sort of cannister to put the washer fluid in, as well as either a vacuum motor or a foot operated pump to wash the windshield with.

Posted on: 2010/11/11 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
If you have a vacuum antenna then there should be a small antenna control knob to the left of the steering wheel under the dashboard. See the knob indicated by the yellow arrow in the attached photo. The knob operates with a push/pull action.

I'll take a picture of the window washer nozzles tomorrow, but as Turbopackman says... they're pretty obvious.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.54 KB)
188_4cdcc5c27e7b2.jpg 360X270 px

Posted on: 2010/11/11 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
So, then how do I operate the antenna because I do have that knob.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 9:10
J.R. Buzzell

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I don't know for sure because I don't think mine has worked in 20 years or so. If I were to guess... I'd pull the knob out to raise the antenna and push it in to lower it. Since it's a vacuum system, the engine must be running (obviously).

I'll be surprised if yours still works.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 10:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
I noticed that I am missing the three tubes that go out of the firewall mount. Do you know where I can get those tubes?

Attach file:

jpg  (151.80 KB)
2880_4cddc2a353337.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/11/12 17:41
J.R. Buzzell

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The hoses that go to the tubes is just ordinary vacuum hose--1/4 in I think. Inside they attach to the grommet adapter and go to switch, vacuum source to center port. Outside, one goes the vacuum source which is usually a tee fitting in the plumbing to motor, the other two go to the antenna. One on top, one on bottom. The antenna is a simple cylinder about 1" in diameter and approx 3' high with a plug on each end with hose fitting. There is also an arrangement to connect the antenna. The piston affair is a flat piece of metal with seal attached to the bottom of the antenna shaft. Pulling the knob raises, push lowers. The total travel is the length of cylinder. I can also take a picture of one if you want it.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
I didn't know the purpose of those ports either!! You would probably help more than a few of us if you would post those pics.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 21:23

(1) 2 3 4 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved