Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 54 Patrician won't come out of Park
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The fact the lever won't even pull toward you leads me to suggest you check the mechanism on the steering column near the bottom. While not exactly the same design, the principle is the same as standard shift and subject to a problem or two recently discussed on the forum.

When you pull the lever, there is a spring loaded rod which moves downward inside the shift tube. At the end of that rod is a detent mechanism which locks the gearshift in position and has to move to clear the safety detent assy & permit the shift lever to rotate. It sounds as if that mechanism is bound to the shaft as was mentioned on the standard shift cars and cannot move forward.

On this drawing from the parts manual item 3.1366 is fixed to the column. When you pull the lever back assembly 3.3167 pin and arm is attached to the rod and has to move forward and remove the end of the arm out of holes or cast detent areas in 3.3166. I don't recall how much it moves but probably at least 1/4" or more. IIRC there are no lube fittings on that piece so if the car is very well detailed or even neglected, the arm or splines could be dry or corroded to the shaft from sitting. If it won't move it could be the source of your problem.

I would have someone watch while the lever is pulled to see what is happening, if anything. If it has corroded or stuck, a few drops of oil or maybe even penetrating oil on either side of 3.3167 would be in order. If there is an oil hole somewhere in the tube a few inches above the mechanism as is present on standard shift cars a few drops in the hole should also be applied. Let it sit and soak in before trying again. If the assy looks to be well lubricated, then mechanical issues elsewhere in the assy would have to be ruled out.

Whatever you do, if it is stuck do not try to force it free using the operator lever. The casting where the operator lever attaches inside the car can break if too much pressure is applied.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.88 KB)
209_51b4a6b3cd863.jpg 614X446 px

Posted on: 2013/6/9 11:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
In the illustration you have posted is this before it goes through the floorboard or before?

Posted on: 2013/6/9 13:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In the engine compartment at the bottom of steering column just above the steering box. Almost opposite or a few inches away from the distributor.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.51 KB)
209_51b4c7824b7a0.jpg 549X542 px

Posted on: 2013/6/9 13:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I'm about to run to the store for some things and will stop by the storage place (it's close) and take some pics of the said location for you guys to look at.

Posted on: 2013/6/9 13:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I think when you see this pic you'll say I need to spray with WD-40 or some kind of oil.

Can someone put a circle around the exact place where I need to put the oil please? The car has complete engine & tranny rebuild, rear end rebuild, complete electrical, brakes and all wheel cylinders. Obviously the steering column area wasn't addressed.

Attach file:

jpg  (116.15 KB)
1497_51b4e4a0c3ef8.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2013/6/9 15:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wow. That looks really bad. It may be too far gone for oil alone to free it but that would be a start.

Try getting a good penetrating fluid -- not WD-40 -- in between the two pieces at the top circle so it runs down into the arm and see if you can squirt some around the splines and up between the tube and the arm at the bottom circle. You might use a small wire brush to remove as much rust as possible at the bottom of the arm. Use something good like PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench or some other name brand penetrating fluid that is thin and can run into the tight spots. If it frees up then use regular oil as a follow up once it is moving.

I can't tell if the arrow is pointing to a hole or if it's just a dirty spot on the tube but look in the general area above or below the arrow all around the tube for a hole. If you find one put some oil inside.

Attach file:

jpg  (118.70 KB)
209_51b4e9c15e859.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2013/6/9 15:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Thanks, I'm on the way and will use wire brush first and then spray with PB blaster

Posted on: 2013/6/9 16:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Here are some details of the lever and detent plate that locks the linkage in the park position. The lever needs to slide freely on the splined shaft when the shift lever is pulled back towards the driver. There is a pin that slips into a hole in the detent plate when in park position and may have become stuck from sitting.

The first photo shows park position, then neutral, high and reverse

Attach file:

jpg  (118.71 KB)
1137_51b4f6a98aaec.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (124.69 KB)
1137_51b4f6d12d98f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (119.97 KB)
1137_51b4f6e4b0a9e.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (104.51 KB)
1137_51b4f6ff4125d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/6/9 16:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
OK, I soaked the said areas in PB Blaster and that was a little hole and all I had was PB Blaster so I squirted some of that in the little hole also.

Also, you know how you pull the gear shift lever toward you slightly when you put it into gear--well, it's stuck in that position, like when you would pull it toward you. You can push it back to where it would be normally but it just pops back to the pulled position when you let go.

Again, I really appreciate you guy's help. I'm kind of enjoying learning but also hopeful I can get it fixed. I think all the rust and maybe that pin you referred to BDeB is the problem. Because it's in the pulled back position and it won't slide freely on the splined shaft.

Posted on: 2013/6/9 17:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Whatever got onto your shifter and rusted it so badly (probably battery acid) seems to have worked on your brake tubing next to the steering gear. I strongly recommend replacing that as it is a hazard. If it blows out you are left with a two ton car, a handbrake, and reverse.

Posted on: 2013/6/9 20:05
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved