Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 165

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

54 Patrician won't come out of Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Thought I should start another thread for this as it's different than the idle thread that I mentioned it under.

54 Patrician with rebuilt engine and tranny. I haven't driven it in about 4 months. Today when I started it and it ran for about 3-4 minutes I couldn't get it out of Park. Lever wouldn't move at all. Also, when you apply the brake the engine will stumble some and even quit sometimes if you don't give it some gas.

As always, your help is greatly appreciated!

Posted on: 2013/6/8 12:52
 Top  Print 

Re: 54 Patrician won't come out of Park
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Since you have power brakes which utilize engine vacuum, a slight change in idle is to be expected when you engage the pedal. But based on your comment about stumbling or nearly stalling you might check for an actual vacuum leak.

Re getting out of Park, is the car parked on the level or on a slope? It might also be helpful to those who can trouble-shoot that problem to know if you have traditional Ultramatic or GearStart? If the car is on a slope, you might pull the car forward or back a bit to take the load off the pawl.

Posted on: 2013/6/8 13:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
The car is in storage facility on perfect level ground. It is traditional ultramatic. The gear lever is PNHLR

Posted on: 2013/6/8 14:09
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

57 Detroit Built
See User information
I had this happen a few years ago were I couldn't get one out of park. It ended up being the park lever linkage in side the pan had broken a ear off. This was made out of diecast and age had done it in. It throwed everything out of whack enough to totally bind it up. Hope this isn't your problem. If I remember right from talk at a Packard meeting years back. Some of the last built 54S had the newer type 55 Ultramatic snuck in for test purposes.

Posted on: 2013/6/8 20:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Oh wow Detroit, I hope this isn't the case with mine.

Does anyone have any ideas??? I have about two weeks to get it fixed and sure don't won't to spend a to of money if I can help it.

Thanks

Posted on: 2013/6/8 21:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Does the gearshift move normally and the car doesn't? If the gearshift moves will it engage a gear ie does the engine appear to be under load and in gear when you try to accelerate and the car just doesn't move or does it appear to still be in neutral. The exact symptoms might help narrow possibilities down a bit.

Posted on: 2013/6/8 22:09
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I parked the car about 4 months ago and he gear shift lever is in park where I left it. I have occasionally started it but not driven it or attempted to put it in reverse, high etc. the gear shift lever is in park and it won't move out of park. I can't get it to move to Any gear, it's just stuck in Park.

What about trying to move the linkage by hand? Is that possible?

Posted on: 2013/6/8 22:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Unusual for an early Ultra to stick in park, but that observation is no help. Have someone roll the car back and forth a bit whilst you try and pull it out of park. Not to insult your intelligence, but you are pulling the lever slightly toward you to unlock it before attempting the shift?

Posted on: 2013/6/9 7:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear O:

Let's proceed by dividing the system.

If you can, get under the car and disconnect the linkage at the transmission.

If the shifter is still stuck then the steering column must have rusted and needs to be oiled.

If it is not stuck then somehow the trans got bound up - like maybe somebody pushed it in park. So try jacking up the rear and rocking the rear wheels.

Hope this helps

Posted on: 2013/6/9 8:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Ross, you're not insulting--often it's the simple things but yes, I'm pulling the lever slightly to me. It won't even pull slightly to me when I try.

Tim:
I assume it's obvious where I disconnect at tranny?

I won't be doing it today as it's pouring rain but the car is in a storage facility dry but it's fairly tight in there.

But those with children will understand or remember these times.

I got exactly 30 minutes of sleep last night as we have four children ages: 9, 7, 5 and 2. The 7, 5 and 2 yr. old literally were up all through the night with the throw up virus. I think we set a record for how many loads of sheets & pajamas you can wash in an 8-10 hour period!!

I will try these suggestions tomorrow or Tuesday. Anymore suggestions are welcome.

Posted on: 2013/6/9 10:49
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved