Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 118

Bill, BigKev, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1949 Custom Eight
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Also, the 1955 Chilton Automobile Repair Manual has a very detailed easy to read and understand several page spread on the Electo-matic Clutch complete with diagrams and pictures in the Packard section. While I don't have a Packard with one, reading it has removed any fear I might have about getting one.

Posted on: 2013/10/17 17:28
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There is nothing to be concerned about in having a car with an inoperative Electromatic Clutch; the mechanism even if inoperative does not interfere with normal clutch operation and gear changes. In fact I'd guess that the majority of Electromatic Clutch-equipped Packards are driven with it just turned off electrically at the dash switch.

Posted on: 2013/10/17 17:49
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Andy
See User information
I've never driven a car with "three on the tree" so just that in of itself is going to be an adventure once I get her going. Speaking of which...I'm surprised that the manual didn't have a shift pattern mentioned.

Posted on: 2013/10/17 20:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't think there was any need to mention the shift pattern, it's the same as all American cars with 3-speeds on the column. If there's an exception to that, I'm don't recall it. It's also the same, except for the plane of orientation, as almost all cars that have a 3-speed floor shift. That standard pattern was pretty much universal for 3-speed transmissions.

PS - here's a photo of the soon-to-become standard "H" pattern gearshift, this on a 1901 Packard.

Attach file:

jpg  (96.75 KB)
177_52613ff30ef43.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/10/17 22:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Learned the hard way: Just because there's a "clutch" button on the dash, doesn't mean you have the electromatic.
Best to look under car. My '49 has the button but it's made inoperable(delete).

Posted on: 2013/10/18 11:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Note however, that later on Packard went with a progressive non-H pattern in the Model 18 and 30 transaxles. They went back to convention with the Twin-Six.

Posted on: 2013/10/18 20:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved