Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
237 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 237

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Possible Ignition Problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I agree probably not vapor lock-put some starting fluid down the carb-if it fires-then it is not getting gas if not then electrical issue-weak coil or condenser. I would vote on weak coil based on what you described.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 16:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
Condenser is highly likely.

There is a standard, common NAPA part but I would have to see the box in the trunk of my car.

Mine went from the time I started the car, drove around the block and by the time I got it back in the driveway it was same symptoms.

Jim

Posted on: 2015/4/2 17:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Any factory repair manual should give the specs of the coil and condenser.

I don't have a Packard manual but I do have a Chrysler one. They use a .25 mfd condenser which is a common size on 6volt systems. If your Packard used an Autolite ignition like Chrysler it may be the same.

Actual spec of Chrysler products, .25 - .28 mfd.

You could use a capacitor from an electronics shop or any similar condenser. If it won't fit in the stock location in the distributor, you can connect it to the distributor side of the coil. It will work exactly the same.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 17:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I used a little starting fluid and it had no effect. I will replace the condenser This Friday and will let everyone know if it cures my problem. Thanks for all of you input.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 20:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
The coil and condenser form a resonate circuit.

If the condenser is open, shorted, leaky, you will get virtually no spark.

The exact value is not that critical such that any automotive ignition condenser with a value from 2 to 3 microfarads will work fine.

You have to be able to mount it in the distribut with that little short screw such that it doesn't interfere with the vacuum advance lever.

They were cheap at NAPA and the value was on the box.

theye are all the same size physically.

Jin

Posted on: 2015/4/3 10:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just to repeat, go to NAPA and get an AL-869. Install and don't forget to burnish the points because if the condenser failed, they will have oxidized; regap them of course. Then if your symptom reoccurs, temporarily rig up a universal 6-volt coil and retest.

Posted on: 2015/4/3 10:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I took your advice and picked up a condenser at NAPA. Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/4/3 11:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Do you know if either NAPA part number CS63A or CS725A are the correct points (breaker assembly) for a 41 Super Eight.

Posted on: 2015/4/3 13:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
NAPA/Echlin CS 725A is, if still available, the correct number for the heavy duty point set for that vehicle. The Standard Ignition number for the same points was (is still?) AL 5255XP. Substitute (not OEM style) point sets if these numbers are superceded may be missing the dog leg on the base plate which fitted over the eccentric screw to make gap adjustment easier but function just fine.

The NAPA/Echlin vintage car catalog pages with these and numbers for the cap, rotor, coil, condenser, generator and regulator, starter brushes and bearings, etc. has been posted on this site numerous times; scout around a bit and you should find it, I recommend you download it and print yourself a copy.

Posted on: 2015/4/3 13:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
good advice, Thank you, I'll look for the post and print it for my service records book.

Posted on: 2015/4/3 13:20
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved