Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 138

Hutmo, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Body Dash Numbers
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Looks like a D to me also. All the other numbers have smooth curves, and that letter is very square.

From my late '54 Clipper Deluxe Sedan (Produced in late August '54, has GearStart tranny):

Body Number Number: 5492-9578
Theift Number: <C874I3> (the 5th digit is stamped as an I, not sure if they used that instead of a 1)
Engine Number: M320537
Door Jam Plate Number: Missing

Attach file:

jpg  (10.58 KB)
1_48f2bc3e0a0bb.jpg 509X190 px

Posted on: 2008/10/12 22:07
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev: too bad your VN plate is missing, I'd like to use the data from your car as it's the highest BDN for a 1954 that I'm aware of. Any chance of recovering it from a prior title or registration? Yes, the "I" is a "1", Packard practice from the very early years; they used the same practice on the patent plates for VNs for a long time, at least thru early 22nd series.

Can anyone confirm that the 1956 cowl stampings were unchanged from 1955? I'd think so but am not sure.

My BDN data is pretty sketchy on the early (1935-35) 120s and sure would like some data from them if anyone has same.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 8:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think the stampings are the same, however there are some detail changes--brake pedal mount for example. The 55 bolted on with 3 bolts slightly to right of steering column and while the holes are still there, on my 56 the "ears" or mounts were welded in different locations-one in the approx same place and the other on the side of air vent opening so the pedal pivot crosses the opening. IIRC, there was one other different welded mount I found.

These were noted when I followed the instructions (55 AC dealer install) with the template dimensions and moved a factory AC from a 55 parts car to 56. Everything bolted and templates fit exactly. Didn't find any other differences which makes me think stampings same.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 9:26
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave,

I have no history on my car previous to when I bought it. I do know that the last time it was registered was in 1986 out of Lake Mirage, CA. I tried to do a google search on the owner listed on the paper, but nothing came up.

The car was last registered using the Body-Number. So I have no way of knowing the original VN number. But if I find it, I will set you an update.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 11:20
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, here are the numbers from my two Packards:

1937 Six Convertible Coupe
Vech. Nr. 1089 1657
BDN 316693
Eng. Nr. 1769

The date of delivery stamped on the vehicle data plate is 12-24-36 by Oklahoma City Packard, Inc.

1947 Custom Super Clipper Touring Sedan
Vech. Nr. 2122 6966
Briggs Plate Nr. 2122 6524
BDN <730146>
Eng. Nr. F518605

The date of delivery stamped on the vehcicle data plate is 6-19-47.

I hope this helps your data base.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 11:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JW, thanks for the data. A question: on the 1937 Six was the BDN enclosed by triangles at each end? I'm assuming it wasn't as you didn't indicate it, and that is significant to me. I have several 36 juniors in the database without the enclosing <>, and all the 38 juniors do have them so perhaps that's beginning to establish that the juniors didn't have the enclosing triangles until 1938.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 11:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, the BDN on the '37 is not bracketed with triangles.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 12:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave,

I would be interesting in knowing if you have ever seen any pattern between the Briggs body number and VN number as far as the offset between the two numbers. I wonder if this number may be consistent between cars in a particular body style. For example let's take my 1954 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan (5492). I don't know my VN number because its missing but lets say for example in your records you came across a 5492 with following Briggs and VN numbers:

VN: 5492 6966
BN: 5492 6524

So based upon that, there is a +422 offset between the Briggs number and the VN number. So using that logic, if the offset was consistent within a particular body type (5492 for example), then could I say the following was true?

If my BN was: 5492-9578
Then my VN is: 5492-10000 (9578 + 422)

Just a theory I have. I don't think the offset would be the same between all models and years. But a particular Year's model number may yield a consistent offset. I am just curious if you may have any data to support or disprove this in any way. If so I would be curious in hearing about it, and if you have any data on the 5492 model in particular, then I would really like to know! :D

The '422' was just a number used for this example, I have no data to support that is an actual offset on the 5492s, but that is the offset on JW's '47 2122 based upon the numbers he posted.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 12:38
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
O_D

Fresh Data for you!

1941 Clipper

Body Number 14019733
This is displayed in two places.
1. Stamped into the PMC plate mounted on the driver-side cowl. The '1' s in the number also look like 'I's. No other data is stamped on the plate (dealer, delivery, city etc.) I assume this was common with the glut of Clippers coming through dealerships in late summer 1941.
2. A 'Body Number' plate fastened to the firewall on the passenger-side.

BDN <604556>
The 0 also looks like a D, as others reported.
That is stamped in the driver's side of the firewall. The voltage regulator and wiring harness are above it, so the 0 and second 5 are not readily visible.

Engine Number D407534C
Block Casting Date 5-2-41 (on both sides of the lower side of the block).
- This number fits the range of original Clipper engines. I assume the added 'C' is for 'Clipper.' I don't know if later Clippers had that added letter in the end or if they were separating out 282 engines meant for the new 'Clipper' line.

Good luck in your 'Code Breaking' hobby.
You are a 'detail man',
the Sherlock Holmes of PInfo
the "Enigma Cipher Machine of Packard history"
"The game is afoot"

SORRY, I got carried away there ....

Anyway, it is hard to own, repair, and drive a Packard w/o a 'detective instinct.'

Let us know your conclusions, no matter how tentative.

DanL

Posted on: 2008/10/13 13:09
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kev, the range may be in the ballpark but my 47's offset is 447.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 13:11
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved