Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 207

Teddyh53Clip, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Carb leaking
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You might try this fix. Wrap the plug threads with vinyl plumbers tape. Be careful not to wrap too many layers so that the threads will still have "character". Spread some JB Weld on the wrapped plug. Then screw in the plug and let the JB Weld set up. You should then be able to unscrew the plug and have restored threads in the carburetor top. The vinyl tape should keep the JB Weld from stick to the plug. Get everything sparkling clean. It would be advised to remove the top from the carburetor for this repair. This method has worked for me on some jobs, but not all. Worth a try. Good luck.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/1/17 17:08
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Plumbers tape is either impregnated cloth or teflon. Teflon tape is not recommended for fuel lines as bits of it can get into fuel pump valves, carb needles/seats or jets. Its use often voids warrantees

Posted on: 2017/1/17 17:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Fred, did you perhaps miss JW's idea? As I read it he is proposing to use the tape as a release agent in using JB Weld to form repaired threads and not as a final part of the assembly.

Posted on: 2017/1/17 19:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Do you have a part number for the body? I have a few laying around maybe one will fit.
Wes

Posted on: 2017/1/17 19:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Thanks, all. I got it to stop leaking temporarily with a new O-ring and a tiny bit of teflon tape on the threads. I can't tighten it very much as it starts to squeeze out the O-ring, but I got it fairly snug. The threads are still sufficient- the cross-threading simply doesn't allow the plug to sit squarely on the carb, and the fiber gasket will not seal.

Wesley, I'll look to see if I can find a number- I think the only permanent fix will be to replace the top. Thanks!

Posted on: 2017/1/18 7:26
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I've not worked on one of these carbs, but - unless this is a pipe thread (which I doubt) - the threads for that plug were never intended to form a seal. Rather they help provide clamping force for a gasket - likely of fibre material, originally.

Fuel filters for carbs in later years (60s-70s+) slipped into a bore in the carburetor air horn and were retained with an inlet nut that was sealed to the air horn casting with a coated, but thin, metal gasket or (later) a thin nylon gasket, which likely does not require as much clamping force, and won't squeeze out like an o-ring.

You might wanna check with an old-timey parts store (not these modern, mass-market messes) to see if they have anything in this regard that's close to the diameter needed.

While I've seen JB Weld used to effectively seal welch plugs, I'm not sure what you'd do if that threaded plug ever had to come back out.

Posted on: 2017/1/18 9:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
warranty voided.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.60 KB)
491_587f866e2eac5.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2017/1/18 10:15
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Har har. Looks like you have a tapeworm infestation.

Posted on: 2017/1/20 17:16
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Wondering when someone was gonna get that joke.

Posted on: 2017/1/21 0:57
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved