Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 160

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Silicon brake fluid
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Packman34&53
See User information
What's his advice?? Use silicone against Ed Strain & White Post Restoration's advice or? Just received an e-mail from Billy Thompson, VP of operations at White Post & he says that they never use it at White Post because it will jelly/swell seals! Exact quote! I understand the use of silicone, I've used it for years in my other antique cars & never had a problem but apparently there is a reason for WP & Ed Strain not recommending it in Eds rebuilt unit! Looks like their is no definitive answer to this question! I definitely prefer Silicone ( doesn't have to be changed out, does not remove paint, not hygroscopic). But in this case the BTV unit on this '53 is not easy to remove or work on! Thanks to all for your advice!!

Posted on: 2018/2/13 11:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Whatever type of brake fluid u decide to use probably makes no difference for the BTV anyway.

There seems to be a generaly accepted service schedule for the bTV:

1. Drain and flush entire brake system at least once a year and fill with new fluid.

2. Send BTV every 3 to 5 years to a "qualified" rebuilder for a complete rebuild.

So, for all intents and purposes then it may not make any difference what type of fluid is used. The BTV is a SHORT service life, high maintenance power/MC unit.

Posted on: 2018/2/13 12:19
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
SIlicone brake fluid:

Maybe need to do some research OUTSIDE of the Packard world. Does the silicone cause problems with any of the OTHER makes and models of cars of 'yesrteryear"????

How many tri-5 chevies are running silicone with no problems??? How many fords after 1939???? MoPars since 1924 or 1928.

Is it ONLY Packard that has alleged "problems" with silicone??

The devil is in the DETAILS!!! And what ever success or failure is observed in the rest of world outside of Packard.

Think about it.

Posted on: 2018/2/13 12:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
1. Drain and flush entire brake system at least once a year and fill with new fluid.

2. Send BTV every 3 to 5 years to a "qualified" rebuilder for a complete rebuild.

Oh, come on now Keith - I really have to disagree strongly on this, just from my experience and those of perhaps a dozen other BTV drivers in my area. We never "drain and flush", though every 5 or so years we do a thorough bleeding such that probably 80% of the fluid is replaced. Having the BTV rebuilt seems to be a one-time event, mine is now going on 20 years since it was rebuilt, ditto for the other units in my area.

Posted on: 2018/2/13 14:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Same here - until the flexible lines slowly over time closed inside causing the brakes to drag requiring a very expensive repair. It was due to poor regular maintenance.

Posted on: 2018/2/13 17:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Ross and JfromKanter in the preceding posts above say it all.
There are many mechanics who may be good at repairing things, but this doesn't mean they understand high school chemistry, are willing to embrace anything beyond hearsay, and might be quick to blame a problem on something alien to them.
Again, Ross and JfromKanter well sum this subject which is getting very old.
Many of us have used nothing but silicon DOT 5 since the late '70s. A friend has had the same batch in his '40 120, '40 180 Darrin, and '42 160 conv. since the '80s and it still looks new.
BTW, regardless of the labeling, all DOT 5 is made by Dow Corning.

Posted on: 2018/2/14 19:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I agree,su8overdrive, I'm tired of this as well. But we've really missed the question in the OP which had nothing to do with DOT5 in non-power brake systems like your 1940, 41 and 42 cars. The question was focused on the BTV and the fact that a major rebuilder of them would not honor his warranty if DOT5 was used. Hence the question, is there some bona fide reason why DOT5 shouldn't be used in a BTV? What did Ed Strain know or believe that led him to this warranty exclusion and is there any validity to it as it seems White Post is continuing the same position.

Posted on: 2018/2/14 20:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved