Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 142

William Grosz, Wat_Tyler, Bingo, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Ultramatic Internals
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Either way, I'd love to tear into that transmission just to see what WAS done. If we can find out what model of car it came out of, as well as the engine, maybe I can dig up a schematic of the trans to see if I can visualize some of the parts fitting an Ultramatic.

Posted on: 2009/2/3 15:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
John Bryan started the shop but was stepping away even when I did business with them. Am not sure he is still with us. When they rebuilt my 47 engine, I believe almost all the work was being handled by Fred Perkins & associates.. Fred used to be a member of PI and if still is, may have some contact info available in their directory.

Posted on: 2009/2/3 17:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
A good torque converter rebuilder can make any kind of torque converter for you. They do this kind of thing all the time for hot rods. Usually a "looser" converter for hopped up engines but anything is possible.

They cut the converter open, change the fins inside, replace the hub, and weld everything back together. In some cases they adapt a completely different converter to bolt onto your flywheel and transmission.

Posted on: 2009/2/3 18:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
John Bryan started the shop but was stepping away even when I did business with them. Am not sure he is still with us. When they rebuilt my 47 engine, I believe almost all the work was being handled by Fred Perkins & associates.. Fred used to be a member of PI and if still is, may have some contact info available in their directory.

Unfortunately I did not find Fred Perkins or John Bryan in the 2008 PI directory. Maybe a call to Carol Mauck at PI can track this down.

Posted on: 2009/2/3 19:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
I'm wondering about this:

The shift into direct drive is often felt the same way as a gear change in an automatic. So, maybe they just installed a lockup clutch on the torque converter. I don't know if the cases for Ultramatics had the room to do that conversion, just a thought, which is worth about

Posted on: 2009/2/3 19:37
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
The shift into direct drive is often felt the same way as a gear change in an automatic. So, maybe they just installed a lockup clutch on the torque converter. I don't know if the cases for Ultramatics had the room to do that conversion, just a thought, which is worth about

Ultramatics already have a lockup converter. They were the first ones to have it.

Posted on: 2009/2/3 21:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved