Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
244 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 243

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Packard Proving Grounds Open House.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
So I see. Thanks, who brought the hydroplane?

Posted on: 2009/10/21 12:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
About the beautiful '40 Convertible, I believe that the fenders on the 110s were not large enough (due to shorter wheelbase/front clip) to have side mounts. So, It must be a 120. Nice looking car.

That Miss America U 10 boat, as seen in the background of the photo showing the '53 Convertible, is huge!

Posted on: 2009/10/21 12:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
the yellow convertible is a 42 8 cylinder but if I squint I think I see Junior running board trim (front edge only) and Senior bumpers (triangular ends). Very pretty

Posted on: 2009/10/21 15:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Well, since I am online I'll toss a comment on the yellow '42. I vote for a 160, due to the bumpers and the senior hubcaps. (or a 120 in disguise!) I can't see the top of the runningboard, and cannot distinguish the hood trim by the picture.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 17:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Thanks John,

For the gorgeous scenes of Packard Detroit at its best. What a wonderful restoration of autos, The Proving Grounds.
Inspiring.

DanL

Posted on: 2009/10/21 17:59
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

flackmaster wrote:
I vote for a 160, due to the bumpers and the senior hubcaps. (or a 120 in disguise!)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the yellow convertible is a 1942 Packard 'Eight' (they dropped the 120 designation in '42), tarted up with 160/180 trim. I think the hood latch is too small to be a 160/180. I would not turn anyone down who wanted to give me one!

Very nice looking convertible.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 18:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
The huge boat has 4 of the biggest Packard engines I have seen. I can't imagine steering the boat.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 19:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
To those who don't know,U-10, Better known as Miss America Ten,Was built by Gar Wood In Algonac Mi.All ten Miss Americas were built here In Algonac,#6 thru #10 were Packard powered.Miss America 10 set a speed mark at Algonac on the St Clair River in 1932 of 124.00 MPH+.Gars home "Gray Haven" was On Lake St Clair.The Packard PT boat engines were developed from Gars motors.Lots good reading there.Miss America 10, 9,and 8 still exist. Brian

Posted on: 2009/10/21 21:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Please note these are NOT the original engines. They are PT boat motors.Anyone that finds the original Packard 1m-2500 engines would have found history.Most historians believe they no longer exsist.Miss America 10 is kept here in Algonac and is owned along with Miss America 9 by the Mistalie family.Nine is being restored. Brian

Posted on: 2009/10/21 21:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Gar Wood's boat Miss America ten was the first boat to break the 120 mph barrier on water.

I think another thing that Gar gets no credit for is his hull design was used on the PT boats of WWII.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/10/21 21:16
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved