Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Can old brands be revived?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gerd, I believe you're referring to an eipcyclic gearbox. Quite a few of the high-end prewar European makes used that principle.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 14:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
I figure if a person had enough money any defunct brand could be revived.

A new Hispona Suiza model will be introduced at the upcoming Geneva Auto Show.

John F. Shireman

Attach file:

jpg  (25.06 KB)
105_4b8839db8d609.jpg 580X340 px

jpg  (22.60 KB)
105_4b883a103e224.jpg 524X329 px

Posted on: 2010/2/26 16:15
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

duh
See User information
I think it would be safe to say that none of us here are the Arabic sheik that could afford maybach. Although I did notice we have a member with a bentley Brooklyn, nice.

With the exception of the abominable mini cooper, these other makes are in such exclusive classes. Or was packards downfall when they became accessible to the lay person? Should they have stayed in the highest relms as Rolls-Royce, they may have made it...but none of us would have one.

I did think of another revival, delorean. But to my knowledge they're failing as well. Maybe another back to the future movie would help...

Posted on: 2010/2/26 16:43
If it wasn't for those meddling kids, and their dog too...

1952 200 deluxe touring- its a goer...but not a stopper. Just ask my neighbour about her flower bed.
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Clements
See User information
Good luck to anyone who wishes to try. Easy to buy the rights, what about the cost of setting up a factory, staff, sourcing quality parts etc, not to forget setting up a dealer network.

It would likely be easier to rebuild the Detroit factory than revive it.

Interesting video on the RHD converted Camaro, just a shame it's AUD$135,000.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 18:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
[quote]
fatmike wrote:

...With the exception of the abominable mini cooper...

Abominable MINI Cooper??? My 2008 has been a GREAT car. So there! You have offended my daily driver. I challenge you to a dual, grease guns at ten paces!

(o {I} o)

Posted on: 2010/2/26 19:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

duh
See User information
Is it an S john?

Sorry. Just can't get turned on by pregnant roller skates.

Now a nash mini metro, that's the ticket.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 20:39
If it wasn't for those meddling kids, and their dog too...

1952 200 deluxe touring- its a goer...but not a stopper. Just ask my neighbour about her flower bed.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
I'd like to see it happen. With the resources, creativity, technology and a strong management team it could be done. It would be a drop in the financial bucket for a Warren Buffett or Bill Gates. Two reasons why I'd like it to happen are that these cars were innovative in their day with lot's of "firsts" from curved windshields etc. Secondly, I think it might be good for the current models for service and parts. In terms of appearance, I think it might look something like a cross between a Bentley/Aston Martin/Mercedes. I think it would help the market value of the current line by bringing them more attention but who knows. What I don't like to see are the pictures of a current GM frames with a couple of tweaks to trim and putting a Packard logo on it. To me that does a disservice to a great lineage of automobiles. If it does happen, it needs to be done right. If someone has a list of the innovations that Packard was first at, I think it would make for a good post.

Posted on: 2010/2/27 10:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Frank: One list of Packard "firsts", published by Packard themselves, has been posted here and there over the years and always get a lot of action. Often the exchanges, which have gotten testy at times, are over "first" versus "first in a production car", and then the following debate over what constitutes "production". For example, the Packard Twin Six probably wasn't the first automotive V-12, but perhaps the first in volume production.

I'm sure someone will repost that or another list of Packard firsts, and off we'll go again! This time I'll stay out of it.

Posted on: 2010/2/27 10:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

fatmike wrote:
Is it an S john?

Sorry. Just can't get turned on by pregnant roller skates.

Now a nash mini metro, that's the ticket.

No, just a basic Cooper. No auto AC, no cruise control, no sun roof, no multi-color, no fancy sound system. It does have the sport seats and Xeon headlights. We drove it from Austin to Pebble Beach and Santa Fe in 2008. It was a surprisingly comfortable road car. Plenty of room in the front and all the room we wanted for luggage in the back (the beauty of a hatchback).3,000 RPMs = 75 MPH. Got over 42 mpg on two legs of the trip. What's not to like? I like the Nash Metros too.

(o {I} o)

Posted on: 2010/2/27 11:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
I DID forget about Maybach and Bugatti. And I had no idea someone was trying to bring back Hispano-Suiza!

As current US sales figures have shown, there are already too many makes and too little market share now.

So unless a new Packard was a top of the line luxury vehicle, produced in extremely limited numbers, I doubt it would have a chance.

IMHO.

Posted on: 2010/2/27 12:34
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved