Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
250 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 247

Mechagon, chevyboy, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: 32 Exhaust wrap
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Film? You mean an SD card?

j/k

Posted on: 2010/2/26 23:38
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Owen,

Thanks. Just to confirm the 8"X24" kit is the one I should order.

Now to decided on a exhaust supplier. Looks like it's coming down to either Classic Exhaust or Wadron and then whether to go aluminized or stainless.

Posted on: 2010/2/27 0:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can't tell you from memory which kit I used, too long ago. You could cut a piece of cloth 8 x 24 inches and give it a test fit, or multiply the OD of your exhaust header by "pi" (3.1416) and if that's comfortably less than 8 inches, then the 8 inch width should be fine. I still haven't gotten out to the garage but I think in any case the 24 inch length should be adquate with a bit to spare. If in doubt, get the larger piece, it's only a few $ more. One nice thing about this stuff unlike asbestor which is fiberous, it apparently dries to a pore-free surface and tends to stay very clean, and is quite washable if it doesn't.

I went all stainless on my 34 exhaust system some 30 years ago and regret it every time I drive the car. I'd still go stainless for the exhaust header but the stainless muffler and tailpipe give a very off-tone, raspy sound, not to mention the "barking" of the stainless as is cools down. One of these days I'm going to trash that muffler (Kepich) and replace it.

Posted on: 2010/2/27 9:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Did the '31 also have the pipe wrapped?

Found EHP Main Site. Looks like they have a few different products on the market.

Posted on: 2010/2/27 11:47
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
tbirdman, I did go out and look at the 34 exhaust pipe wrap. Don't know how much help it will be to you as the 34 manifold is quite different from the 32. I do see that the new wrap goes from the header flange thru the frame crossmember hole and nearly all the way to the muffler. I just can't recall if that coincides with the original wrap and unfortunately I never did take a picture of the original configuration. Heck, back then in the 60s I didn't even own a camera.

Posted on: 2010/2/27 14:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Owen,

I'll probably buy the 2' wrap and just wrap as far as it will go. I'm pretty much decided on Aluminized. Now to decide between classic exhaust and weldron exhaust.

The pipe I have today looks like it was put together with 4" sections and it's quite rusty.

Posted on: 2010/2/27 17:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Went with the aluminized from Waldron. Will call EHP Monday for the wrap. Thanks for the help Owen.

I was almost tempted to go with Kepich. Could had got it for 1/2 [price vs Waldron but Kepich had a lot of black marks? Debated Classic Exhaust but Waldron's name kept appearing.

Posted on: 2010/2/28 0:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There's probably not a vendor out there serving the hobby who at some point had a problem with a customer and suffered some ill will, deservedly or not. I've never bought from Waldron but have generally heard good things about them. I bought from Kepich once and would never do so again.

Posted on: 2010/2/28 9:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I agree with suppliers. But when you find as much as I did regarding Kepich, you shy away from those guys. And I did like the fact that Waldron visits these forums to make sure that he takes care of issues.

I didn't find as much on the stainless vs aluminized debate. I think I could have went either way, but I convinced myself for the 2K miles I drive the car in mostly nice weather, the aluminized should be a good choice. I did find a few posts about a slightly different sound from stainless. I couldn't find anything on the noise it makes when it cools down. I wonder if that noise is specific to your exhaust Owen.

Overbudget again this winter

Posted on: 2010/2/28 13:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I wonder if that noise is specific to your exhaust Owen

I don't think so, I often hear them tinkling and crinkling a they cool down on quite a few other cars as well.

Posted on: 2010/2/28 14:03
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved