Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 234

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Battery Shut-off Switches
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
This is one of my favorite subjects. I have installed battery cut-off switches on my '37 Six and '47 Custom, and will install one on my '55 Super. I use the Cole-Hersee 2484-09 switches and switch the ground side. These switches are rated for use in 6 to 36 volt systems. The price from elecDirect.com is 30.49 plus S&H. These switches are rugged and reliable. They are installed remotely from the battery and require two cables: one from battery to one side of the switch, and another from the other terminal of the switch to engine. They provide safety and security. I highly recommend their use. I also have a fire extinguisher (in the passenger compartment) in all of my old Packards.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/6/22 9:57
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The Cole-Hersee rotary switches are extremely robust and reliable and the recommended way to go even though installation requires a bit of forethought as to location and an extra cable.

Posted on: 2010/6/22 10:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Here's my solution to the problem of disconnecting the battery when the car is going to sit for an extended period.

It's very inexpensive (you might even already have one).
It works on 6 or 12 Volt.
It takes about 10 seconds longer than the aforementioned switches.
It eliminates the possibility of an unwanted short (assuming you apply it to the ground).
It does not require drilling any holes in your pristine, factory-original firewall or inner fender.

Anyway, it works for me

Attach file:

jpg  (12.74 KB)
188_4c2146ed0b3d6.jpg 360X230 px

Posted on: 2010/6/22 18:28
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved