Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 133

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Packard Kangaroo Island Safari 2010
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
The Bay to Birdwood run today was FUN! Even though it meant an early start, departing at 7:00am from the motel for the run starting point. Departing from there about 10:00am for the run itself and arriving at the Australian Motor Museum at Birdwood about 11:30am. A great day for it with fine weather and pleasant temperatures. The museum is about 40 miles outside Adelaide, capital of South Australia, in the hills. Only problem came at the end of the day when Mat, Packard34, asked if he could follow me back to the motel. This we did only to get lost! Turns out Mat has a GPS, while I don't, but his was in the '34's glove box. Once that was brought into play we successfully returned to the motel.

I'm posting this link to the pic's from today but, because of the slow internet connection at the motel, only about 1/3 of the pic's have been uploaded. I'll continue to catch up with over the next few days, so check back from time to time.

Bay to Birdwood pic's

Attach file:

jpg  (42.19 KB)
226_4c9f3ea35d6a4.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/9/26 7:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Yesterday we travelled in groups to Kingscote on Kangaroo Island from Glenelg. Some rain early on the way spoiled what would have been a great day. It did clear up though and the 45 Packards crossed from Cape Jervois to Kangaroo Island in 2 groups by Sealink ferry. Packard34, Mat. was in the first group and unfortunately his '34 suffered a blown head gasket on the trip. But not to worry, even as I type(couldn't get an internet connection last night, now doing it in the hotel lobby) there's a team of guys changing it in the main street of Kingscote amid the Packard concourse! Should be quite a sight for the locals.

Here's a link to yesterdays pic's, don't know if you'll be able to see them all as I'm having some upload problems. But at least it should satisfy the withdrawal pains of one recently appointed Forum Ambassador!!

Glenelg to Kingscote, Kangaroo Island

Attach file:

jpg  (33.81 KB)
226_4ca1346d323d7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.15 KB)
226_4ca1347ff1ef0.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/9/27 19:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Seeing I was late with yesterdays pic's I'm getting in early for today. Today is PACA's Display and Concours day being held in the main street of Kingcote with a section blocked off just for our use between 8:00am and Noon. Great town and people! The local mayor will be presenting a trophy to the People Choice winner later this morning and, internet connection being OK, I'll report on that later. After the Concours and Display there are a number of short runs during the afternoon before tonights festivities - a pirate themed dinner with unfortunates having to walk the plank if not appropriately dressed or unwilling to make a fool of themselves in performing on the night! Don't know if cameras will be allowed, to save people from internet embarrassment - but I'll try!

Kingscote Concours & Display

Attach file:

jpg  (29.96 KB)
226_4ca13a7c635bf.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2010/9/27 19:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Todays events encompassed:
- a late 11:00am start.
- a short trip to a local and historic landmark, a mulberry tree.
- Kangaroo Islands Birds of Prey, a must see!!!
- and Seal Rocks.

Still having problems uploading pic's, but here's a link to todays pic's which I hope have loaded!

EDIT - 2 Pic's added from last nights Pirate themed dinner!

Attach file:

jpg  (36.45 KB)
226_4ca32a245811d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.61 KB)
226_4ca32d98af8ab.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.39 KB)
226_4ca32e385b820.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/9/29 7:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Today was a Packard free day with 2 coaches transporting 90 PACA members on a tour of the south and west of Kangaroo Island. From Kingscote, first stop was Flinders Chase followed by Remarkable Rocks, Admirals Arch and a farm at Parndana before returning to Kingscote, a 350km round trip. The trip was interspersed with stops for morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea. You'll never go hungry on a PACA Rally!

Couple of car related notes. Young Mat, Packard34, sprang a leak in the rubber hose between the fuel filler pipe and the fuel tank. Yesterday Peter Packard had a rear door come open on the highway which whipped around and damaged the rear mudguard(fender) as well. And the '48 which travelled 2,000kms from Western Australia has OD and oil consumption problems. And speaking of Mat's '34, Brian Wade's New Zealand mate, is driving it back to Sydney in convoy with Wade. Once there Wade is going to look at Mat's generator problem. Thinks he has another generator and from the two may be able to build one good one. We'll see.

Tomorrow it's a Packard transportation day, getting from Kingscote to Penneshaw, then by ferry to Cape Jervis, and then onto Victor Harbour. At Victor Harbour PACA is having it's farewell dinner and presentation night at the McCracken Country Club.

Today's pic's are in this album, hope they all work!

Attach file:

jpg  (26.12 KB)
226_4ca4794e9dbd4.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2010/9/30 7:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Today the Packard Kangaroo Island Safari returned to Australia. The Packards, drivers and passengers departed on two different sailings, one morning and one in the afternoon. The afternoon group stopped at the Carnarvon Nursing Home for 10 to 15 minutes to provide the residents with an opportunity to view the Packards before their departure from Penneshaw to Cape Jervis.

From Cape Jervis the Packards convoyed to the MacCracken Country Club at Victor Harbour. The evening saw a Gala Dinner in the Boudin Room at the club featuring the Rally's presentation awards. Needless to say I departed empty handed.

Link to todays pic's, once again they are in a state of disarray!

Attach file:

jpg  (43.89 KB)
226_4ca5e41e8b730.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/10/1 8:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
After a farewell breakfast at the Country Club started on the journey home. A small convoy this time, Jeff and Margaret in the '52, Michael in his '54 and us. Got off to a great start with Jeff's GPS taking us in the wrong direction! That was soon sorted out, seems one of the parameters excluded ferrys! On the journey to the ferry, this time one which just went from riverbank to riverbank, saw the John's '34, passed DavidM's '29, passed a group of 6 Packards from the southern state of Victoria also returning home. Repassed by DavidM while making a winery cellar door stop, caught DavidM at the ferry, he got on while we didn't. Caught by the 6 Victorians while waiting for the ferry to return. Repassed DavidM, but now being driven by Veronique,further along, then he repassed us when we stopped for fuel and lunch. Also passed by Peter Packard while stopped for lunch. Caught up with Peter further along and continued in a convoy of 4 to the motel at Tooleybuc where we found DavidM had arrived just before us. And soon followed in by BKSmith with Cheryl at the wheel. Seemed like a game of leapfrog interspersed with the concertina effect, for want of a better term.

Todays album - still with problems. They are all there but out of order!

Attach file:

jpg  (37.58 KB)
226_4ca71456703c5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.99 KB)
226_4ca7146c00864.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2010/10/2 6:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
What a wonderful trip. Many thanks Mal for sharing with us and all your time and trouble with all the photos and the blog.
Terry

Posted on: 2010/10/2 9:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Hey Mal, you'd fit right in at the local bar the wife and I frequent:

Click to see original Image in a new window

http://doobleys.com/Home/Welcome_Aboard.html

Posted on: 2010/10/2 9:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Mal, I look forward to reading all about our rally when my head stops swimming. We just got home in the 1929 Sedan after driving the last 1400 kms in 2 1/2 days. The car performed very well (apart from the split rim) considering it was its very first run after a 10 year restoration. We experienced vaporisation on the last 2 days as the weather warmed a little. My other 2 cars are the same or worse. Every time we stopped I put my ear to the vacuum tank and could hear the fuel boiling. Much as I like to keep them authentic, "warts and all" I think its time to bypass the vacuum tank, which sits over the exhaust manifold, acting like a stove, and fit an electric pump feeding directly to the carburetor. As we can't buy the original higher boiling point fuel then we need to modify the fuel delivery system to suit the stuff available.
It was a great rally.

Posted on: 2010/10/4 1:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved