Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 97

Aiden, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Over drive won't work
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Info on light location and a flowchart from Motors Auto Repair, 17th ed. Flowchart is generic info but most mfgs used a flavor of the B-W OD unit this is for. It is R9 based.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.65 KB)
209_4f8dbd2f32e33.jpg 351X121 px

jpg  (185.33 KB)
209_4f8dc07f61cbe.jpg 1200X1217 px

jpg  (119.84 KB)
209_4f8dc0891decf.jpg 1200X932 px

Posted on: 2012/4/17 13:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Howard ...........that is a great flow chart! Wish my mind worked that way too.

Posted on: 2012/4/17 14:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Howard, that's just what I needed! Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/4/17 14:33
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
....that is a great flow chart!

It's not a bad chart. Lot of good stuff in old Motors Manuals.

Not quite all Packard items listed on it though. One thing to know is some Packards with R9 had a reverse safety switch installed or retrofitted in 6v feed wire. Where it says to check fuse, also need to check that switch if installed. Switch is located low on steering column and is a 4 terminal plunger type operated by the shift lever. One set of contacts were safety switch, other set used for back up light if equipped with option.

Posted on: 2012/4/17 14:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I tested the 30A fuse between the starter and the OD safety switch, and it's good. I have the back up lights, and they were disconnected. Power is going to the OD switch. Tested the switch, and no action in or out of reverse.

Is the reverse safety switch supposed to complete the circuit when not in reverse? That would 'splain everything.

Posted on: 2012/4/17 15:24
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Details of the switch installation are in SC 21#15.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL21NO15.pdf

Briefly because of internal R9 mechanics if solenoid doesn't drop out or something electrical prevents normal drop out then when shifting into reverse, a lockup or damage can happen.

Normally the OD gets power thru the switch anytime car is not in reverse. As soon as reverse is selected ALL power to OD is cut so solenoid is forced to drop out. The switch could be bad, miswired or even the wrong one. That occasional reverse lockup problem was the main reasons R9 cars were in the program & could be retrofitted with R11s. Different internal construction so those couldn't have the problem.

Posted on: 2012/4/17 15:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Well, power is arriving at the switch, but not going through it. I'm going to pull it after I make note of which wires go where, and see if I can get it working.

Posted on: 2012/4/17 17:31
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
If you ground terminal #5 on the OD relay it basically shorts out the kickdown switch/governor etc and the solenoid and the light on dash should energize. I have trouble with the solenoid on my car.

Posted on: 2012/4/20 15:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I repaired the reverse lockout switch, and the OD still doesn't work. I will test the solenoid as you suggested.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/4/20 16:03
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Again when you ground Terminal 5 you should hear the relay kick in and the solenoid on the transmission. On my car the relay works but no solenoid. There are some tricks in getting the solenoid in and out of the car. Check out the info section on Econo drive. Also solenoids are repairable if it is the contacts otherwise the best price I have found is Max Merritt-if you have other sources let me know

Posted on: 2012/4/20 20:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved