Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 205

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: When deciding what to buy....
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I prefer to buy cars that need little or no cosmetic work. A good sound body with decent paint and complete trim is what I look for in addition to a nice interior. I can do the mechanical servicing, repairing and parts replacing easier and spend less money on than doing rust repair, painting, and interior work. I have no skills or experience doing body and interior work, and have to hire out this work. This may help you in your search for your Packard. It has worked well for me.

(o{i}o)

Posted on: 2011/5/22 20:58
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

49Custom8Convert wrote:
The car was hard to see out of, the engine felt greatly underpowered, and the inside of the car had zero razzle dazzle to keep an aesthete happy. I'm in the San Fernando Valley.

When I was a child of about 5 yrs (in the San Fernando Valley) my parents had a lemon yellow '49 Nash Airflyte. The rear window was impossible to see out of and the car was terribly underpowered. The interior was certainly a conversation starter what with the 'Uniscope' instrument pod on the steering column, the plastic point on the center of the steering wheel aimed right at your sternum and of course the Drive-in ready fold-down double bed. The car spent an inordinate amount of time in the repair shop. My father t-boned a red-light runner downtown (with me in the passenger seat) and that was the end of the Nash.

If being able to see out of the car is something you find important, then don't forget that with all the fastbacks of the period the rear window is oriented pretty much up to the sky. To add to that problem, the '48-49 22nd series Packard had a pretty small rear window. Packard increased the size of the rear window by about a third with the 23rd series.

If I still lived in the SFV, I would be happy to let you drive either of my bathtub Packards. The interiors (especially the 22nd series Custom) have plenty of 'razzle-dazzle'.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.40 KB)
188_4dda74a84f07c.jpg 400X294 px

Posted on: 2011/5/23 9:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Evan,
If you are in San Diego area I can totally answer your question. I purchased a 23rd series Packard Touring Sedan 2 years ago from an ad on Ebay. I paid top dollar for a car described as a "roadworthy" car in excellent condition. I have over 40 years experience with old cars but like a fool I ignored these rules:

1. Don't buy a car without personally inspecting it no matter how many photos or stories you get.
2. Buy the best car you can afford rather than the cheapest one you can find. The cost will always be less if you do that.
3. Estimate the fix-up cost and then multiply by 5 to establish you budget. Hidden damage is always estimated low.

My beloved Packard has gone from one repair to another with very little cosmetic restoration to date. The cost is well over $25,000 and the car is worth less than half of that. It still needs chrome, and paint, but that will come after replacement of the wiring harness!

You can drive it too if it is running when you have time to visit.
Fred

Posted on: 2011/5/23 13:05
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Thanks you guys. Very wise advice. I think I'll follow it.

JD, the 'hard to see out of' factor was something that stood out in my mind as one reason I didn't like the car. But the overall lack of pizazz in the inside, plus the power of the engine felt like the much bigger drawbacks. Though I do remember that the 3-speed column shifter on the Airflyte was very smooth.

Thanks for the offer to drive your car Fred. I don't get down to San Diego often, but when I do, I'll reach out to you to find out if your offer still stands.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 19:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Paul_K
See User information
My late father in law had a 47 Clipper. I hated driving it. Granted it needed a rebuild on the suspension but If that was the first Packard I had ever driven, I would have run run run away from them. Lucky that I drove the 645 and the A model Pierce to have something to gauge. I didn't shed any tears when we sold the 47 after his death.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 1:29
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE FLAMES COMING OUT OF THE STACK< YOU ARE NOT RUNNING TO YOUR FULL POTENTIAL.
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved