Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 137

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Timing chain and gear set
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Bob, my English is poor, please turn a blind eye. I like the plain-spoken way, you described the offered part.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 13:16
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Bobs51. Is it too late to send the timing set back to the vendor for a refund???? U'll be out the shipping cost of course. I'd try that first. Otherwise u'll probably have no trouble getting the $75 or more for from an eBay buyer.

On a differnt note. It mite be cheaper and easier in the long run to determine what kind of modern readily available over the counter timing chain set comes the closest to fitting and have gears machined to fit.

Many thanks for your candor. We only have each other here to learn from here.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 15:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
Is it too late to send the timing set back to the vendor for a refund????

I figure it is too late. I knew a long time ago that one of the things I was going to need was a timing set. The set was purchased approx two years ago and has sat around here ever since. The price seemed very low so I bought the set. I should have known that something that sounds to good to be true usually is. The other thing is I don't wish to debate with the vendor about the quality of Chinese replacement parts. He has a stake in that and I don't. As for me it was a lesson well learned. This vendor and China are to say the least not on my "A" list.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 20:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Not sure what it would be but there ought to be somekind of relatively modern production replacement timing chain set that can be modified to fit. It'll just take alot of research to determine which one to use. Maybe try a local engine building shop for a little consultation.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 21:01
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
Not sure what it would be but there ought to be somekind of relatively modern production replacement timing chain set that can be modified to fit.

There may be a modern replacement but that wasn't my point. Point is that going to China to have replacement parts manufactured is probably a mistake.

Posted on: 2011/10/8 12:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

Bobs51 wrote:
[quote]
There may be a modern replacement but that wasn't my point. Point is that going to China to have replacement parts manufactured is probably a mistake.

Bob, it's two big mistakes...one is to contract with China to manufacture something of poor quality that we could make over here and two for those greedy enough to put fellow Americans in a position of having to pay the price for such poor quality. I apologize for the negative comment guys but I just purchased some valve cover gaskets from one of the well known "Packard" supply houses and they also came from China...Although quality was good in this case, the shipping cost me darn near as much as the gaskets so next time I'll buy the gasket material and make them.

Posted on: 2011/10/10 12:28
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You can buy most of the Engine related gaskets from Egge. Most of the gaskets out there are made by Best Gasket, and Egge is one of their distributors. Pretty fair on their pricing.

Posted on: 2011/10/10 12:35
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
Bob, it's two big mistakes...one is to contract with China to manufacture something of poor quality that we could make over here and two for those greedy enough to put fellow Americans in a position of having to pay the price for such poor quality.

I bought the timing set from what I thought at the time was a reputable Packard parts dealer. I was un-aware that the parts were manufactured in China until I got them. Unfortunately I didn't pay much more attention to the set until much later. By then I felt it was way too late to return them. I will just stay clear of that vendor in the future. You live and learn.

Posted on: 2011/10/10 13:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
You can buy most of the Engine related gaskets from Egge. Most of the gaskets out there are made by Best Gasket, and Egge is one of their distributors. Pretty fair on their pricing.

Thanks for passing that information down Kevin. In my case, I became really irrited when I ordered the gaskets and cowling rubber from the same (using Bob's term) "reputable" supplier and then getting billed twice when the orders were split and the cowling rubber was "drop shipped" from Steele??? I think it's pretty shady for a supplier to list a part as if it was a stocked item only to find out it was never in his inventory at all. I'm not done with it either...I think $15.00 to ship a set of $20.00 valve cover gaskets and a 5' length of $62.00 cowling rubber would have been barely acceptable but to charge $15.00 for one and right at $16.00 for the other was a bit extreme.
I'm not done yet and won't mention any names but I'm still waiting for a phone call from "Indiana" explaining why it cost me $31.00 to ship something that should have been no more than half that much!!!...and I went with the cheapest shipping that was offered!!!

Posted on: 2011/10/10 22:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

I bought the timing set from what I thought at the time was a reputable Packard parts dealer. I was un-aware that the parts were manufactured in China until I got them. Unfortunately I didn't pay much more attention to the set until much later. By then I felt it was way too late to return them. I will just stay clear of that vendor in the future. You live and learn.

Don't beat yourself up too bad Bob, life is one big learning curve and as long as we're breathing we're learning...

Posted on: 2011/10/10 22:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved