Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 105

PackardSanta, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1941-42 180 Dash Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Several differences between R9 and R11, one of them is the reverse-lockout method. And a very simplified (and far less costly) relay, the R9 relay had 6 connections.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 12:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I see now that the 46-50 shop manual has detailed coverage on replacing R-9 with R-11, and also provides identification. In addition to the difference in relays, I see the lockout lever is on the opposite side.

Looks like R-11 was the ultimate soultion to the R-9's problem of getting locked up in overdrive and reverse at the same time.

Meanwhile, since the 46-50 shop manual only covers service of an R-11 and replacing an R-9, I've added the Econo-Drive training book to the Recommended Manuals and Literature table for all 21st Series, in the site's Model Info feature.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 12:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
R-10 is new to me, but I'm a V8 guy - not at all familiar with differences between R-9 amd R-11.

Another website mentioned R10 units and IIRC, I believe their statement is the R10 was a lighter vehicle version of the R11. Same basic workings as the R11 but built along the lines of the regular and heavy duty versions of the R9 Packard used.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 13:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I think I've got it, now. While Packard made it's own manual transmissions (thru '54), B-W supplied all of the overdrive units. A litle Googling even turned up an R-6.

So, R-6 and R-9 originated prewar; R-10 and R-11 came postwar. Looks like R-9 and R-11 were for large cars, like Packard; R-6 and R-10 were light-duty (and not used by Packard).

Although I've noticed a lot of differences in parts between 17th and 18th overdrive, perhaps we shouldn't go that far off-topic, here.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 15:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
So, R-6 and R-9 originated prewar; R-10 and R-11 came postwar. Looks like R-9 and R-11 were for large cars, like Packard; R-6 and R-10 were light-duty (and not used by Packard). Although I've noticed a lot of differences in parts between 17th and 18th overdrive, perhaps we shouldn't go that far off-topic, here.

If anyone wants the info this could be moved to a new thread to carry on comments. Since it already started here I will continue.

Believe R6 was the first version Packard used up until 1940. Mechanically somewhat different and electrically more so than later ones. No electrical governor. Centrifugal clutch determined engagement speed but planetary arrangement similar to R9.

R9 came in two versions. I believe the lighter one was R9 and heavy duty used in senior cars was designated R9a or R9-1 -- but I could be backwards on the designation. Used until mid 48 and had the 6 terminal relay, lockout switch, 4 terminal solenoid, indicator light and retrofitted reverse safety switch on some.

Not sure how many versions of the R11 there were--but maybe used till the end. R10, R11 and R12 were apparently built concurrently in those years. There is a difference in opinion on forums as to which was the heavier duty between the R11 and R12 and when R11 stopped production.

The 55-6 unit may have had a different R11 designation or could have been the R12. Can't say for sure. It is physically different than earlier ones. If there is a number cast in the case someone can find, would be interested to know for sure which it is.

Mechanically they were all about the same mid 48-56. As mentioned by O_D, R11 was simpler, more reliable and quite a bit different in reverse lockout method than the R9. Electrically while they all worked the same, R11's had some differences in the lockout switch circuit. All had the 4 terminal relay, 2 terminal solenoid & no indicator light. 48-50 had one version of the lockout switch on the lockout cable which interrupted the power, 51-4 another version with switch on the OD unit in the ground side. The lockout switch was eliminated totally in 55-6 & they just energized the relay directly and constantly when ign sw was on.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 15:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If my memory serves, the R9, at least the senior car version, had a 6-terminal relay, not 4.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 16:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agreed. All R9s had the 6 terminal relay and 4 terminal solenoid.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 16:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
The bottom panel is a 1942 panel which included turn signals from the factory. I didn't expect all the chatter on this....seem to me even If I got off my perch and looked at manuals, photos, etc, that simply the upper 2 panels represent a running change in 41. Interesting.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 22:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Howard -

Yes, among many different parts for 17th Series vs. 19th-19th applications, I noticed no governor listed for that 17th Series.

As I've seen no reference to overdrive prior to the 17th Series, R6 must have been used for only one year by Packard, then.

Thanks for all that additional info, which I've not been able to easily find elsewhere. It's helping to clear up applications for several vague articles on the subject.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 23:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
flackmaster -

Sorry for drifting off-topic.

The 41-47 parts book sure doesn't make it easy to look that stuff up. Might have been easier if they had included an illustration of the correct panel layout.

Alas, it does not appear to offer any explanation for what you've got there.

Posted on: 2011/12/1 0:00
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved