Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 74

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: noisy lifters (hydraulic)
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you have the correct packard filter (which I don't think you do), it should be plumbed like Howards diagram above.

Posted on: 2012/3/8 0:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Will do man. I'll go take a pic of it tomorrow when it's light out. Maybe it's an aftermarket replacement filter?

Posted on: 2012/3/8 2:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
hi , I have noisy lifters and was snooping around the threads to see if there was discussion about the oiling system being a culpret ,I have a 327 with hydrolic lifters s ,I wonder if my t fitting is backward? how do I know?? ,I thought to take all of the external oil lines off and clean them out and a possible remedy to the clater .Ive tried oil changes and filter changes ,top end oil ,timing checks ,ignition checks .I looked at the diagram you posted ,is a pig tail the piece of tubing from the engine to the t fitting ,does the fitting go one way ot the oteher ,how does one tell ewhere a restriction is?
Ill try to take a oicture of the system to post tomorrow

Posted on: 2012/4/15 20:14
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The restriction should be on the filter side of the Tee.

The unrestricted side should "pig tail" right back into the block above and provide the feed for the filters.

If you suspect it is some kind of feed issue, temporally cap off the filter side so you are running full pressure to the upper gallery and see if that eliminated the noise, of not, then it isn't a oil feed problem, just a bad lifter.

Posted on: 2012/4/15 20:18
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
what is the nature of the restriction ? is it intregral with the t fitting or in the line ,,how do I look at it and know if its one way or another ?I was thinking to take them all off and blow them out to make sure theyre clear
,my car has a t fitting with the lower line and upper pig tail and a branch forward to the filter then it has another t fitting screwed into it that holds tha oil pressure sender two t's sitting next to eachother ,I wonder if its set up wrong and Im starving the lifters
thatll be cheaper to fix than a bad lifter
ill get a photo of my mystery system tomorrow ,this is the engine that was supposed to be a 288 that turned out to be a 327 and there was a question of if it had been dropped in at one point maby its plumbed wrong

Posted on: 2012/4/16 22:32
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The correct "Tee" should be a 4 way one. Looks like a plus (+) sign. One leg screws into the block, the opposite side is where the sender screws in. The left side run connects to the filter, and the right side is where the lifter pig tail attaches.

On the correct "Tee", the left leg (filter) has a much smaller center hole, and that acts as the restriction.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 22:55
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is how the lines are run on my 327 solid motor.

Attach file:

jpg  (114.41 KB)
1_4f8cea40224cd.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/4/16 22:57
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
thank you very much for the pic ,Mine looks really different! Still waiting for a chance to post a pic to compare ,I have a extra t screwed into the first t with the sender on it .Im suspecting some funny buisness!

Posted on: 2012/4/17 23:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
ps would the hydrolic lifter oil path be any different? I see you have a alternator ,did you go 12 v?Im about to try a 6 v alternator

Posted on: 2012/4/17 23:46
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
No, the oil pan would be the same. Yes I went 12v as my original harness was toast, and I want to add a modern A/C unit.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 0:06
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved