Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 81

John Sauser, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Question on old fuel problem
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
I thought I would provide a quick update. Thanks for all the information, very helpful.

I decided against attempting to get the fuel tank plug out. It is brass. I carefully tried to get it to budge, no luck. Went to see if I could find a square socket, I couldn't find one, best thing they have is a 10 point socket, that is not good enough. I then decided that the next approach would be to siphon the gas into a can by removing the fuel line on the other side of my electric fuel pump and turning on the pump. I got out about a 1/2 quart of gas in 20 minutes and gave up on that plan.

Finally when back to plan B. Drove the car to the gas station, filled it up with high octane fuel and added a can of gas treatment. Car stopped once more and I cleaned out the glass bowl filter again. Since then it has been running smooth. I am going to take my chances and leave tank removal to a professional at some point.

Posted on: 2012/5/30 9:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps it's best left to a professional but I wouldn't count on trouble-free driving between now and then. For a square bung plug, an 8-point socket is a common item and the tool typically used. It it's that stubborn, best not to force the issue.

Posted on: 2012/5/30 9:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you already have an electric pump in the line, perhaps you could add the larger Fram G3 or the even larger Jeep Cherokee filter near the tank or at least before the pump as was mentioned in another thread. Might save you from having to clean the small glass bowl filter or risk it getting so clogged with microscopic rust particles it can't be cleaned.

Posted on: 2012/5/30 9:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
If you try to work the plug loose you stand a chance of breaking it loose in the sheet metal and then you have big trouble.

DO Nothing with an open flame near the fuel system / tank.

I have removed plugs by using freeze spray available at electronics stores. Freeze it and it may shrink enough to soak in some light penetrating oil.

WD40 is a poor penetrating oil and is actually a moisture proofing. WD40 will eventually dry up and leaves a film which after frequent use may glue in a plug tighter. I used to use it on everything but have become much more cautious where I spray it.

Jim

Posted on: 2012/5/30 11:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
'46 Deluxe -- Again, you've got a lovely car, nice going.
Be patient, one step at a time. The above gents give superlative advice, including the last about WD-40, which is splendid stuff, when used as intended, not as panacea.

When my '47 Super's gastank was out, i'm pretty sure i
removed the plug, but as that was awhile back, OD's suggestion to crack the plug a quarter turn then retighten
as preemptive measure is a good one, and i'll try this weekend, tho' not being untouched since the '40s like yours,
and the neurotic maintenance, fussy use since it was rebuilt stem to stern, i'm figuring it's still clean inside the tank. Again, always buy gas at a busy station, never some tiny mom and pop place in the sticks, because their storage tank(s) could be less than up to snuff.

The original ceramic filter element in the AC and other glass bowl filters just before our carburetors is fine,
so long as you marinate it in acetone, etc., blow it out with compressed air once in a blue moon. But most Packardites i know are using a paper filter element in these glass bowls, which Jeff Adkins, Moose Motors, Penngrove, CA 1 (707) 792-9985, can send you. Jeff owns a '47 Deluxe 8 w/od, drives the wheels off it, specializes in Packards and brake parts for all old cars. Good man. Tell him a black '47 Super Clipper in Walnut Creek referred you.

Keep us posted.

Posted on: 2012/5/30 16:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
i've been getting really good results with a mixture of acetone and ATF. I bought a chemical resistant spray bottle, and so far it has held up. You have to shake the mixture before using it, and I adjust the nozzle to spray a stream, allowing pinpoint application.

Apply the mixture repeatedly, letting it soak for a day or more.

You may want to check out my blog for the tank repair procedure that worked for me.

Posted on: 2012/5/30 21:27
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
Thanks again for you advice. I did call Jeff Adkins. He gave me a part 3 for a paper fuel filter as you mentioned. But now that I have it, I don't understand how it possibly can work in my glass bulb fixture. Am I missing some sort of adapter? Or maybe this is for a Carter filter and I have and AC.

Posted on: 2012/6/2 16:22
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved