Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 128

Ozstatman, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 29 »

Re: Larry's 1951 Club Sedan Project
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Silver is correct regardless of the body color.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 14:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Thanks fellas. Someone I know with a '52 has his painted silver and said he thought that was wrong and they should be body colour, so I went that direction. I'd really appreciate some pics of the silver Jim, and if anyone has a name of the silver that'd help too thanks.

I'd prefer silver anyway, that would seem a better choice.

Also I'll dig out the Matador Maroon formula tomorrow - it's a PROTEC match (- PPG bought Protec in 2006, see PPG Acquires Protec . There's a local Protec shop where I live so very handy. Some of my project blog photos show the Matador Maroon a bit brighter and 'cleaner' than it actually is (- I blame the camera, and it changes depending on lighting etc. Under fluoro lights is different to sunlight as you'd expect).

Here's a pic with what I believe is 'original' Matador Maroon paint. Probably it has darkened a bit over the years from what I can figure, comparing others I've seen.

The most 'accurate' pic I have for the Maroon I had mixed by Protec is the firewall one (copy below). So here's more or less a 'side by side comparison'.

Original(?) Matador Maroon . . . .
Click to see original Image in a new window

Match I have . . . .
Click to see original Image in a new window

Window trim colour I can help you with also, it's very close to a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder colour. Let me know if you want the details.

I'm not a very good spray painter, just persevere. Where a good painter will get excellent gloss off the gun, with no 'inclusions' (dust, bugs etc), I battle, and then I do lots of after-work like wet sanding with 2000 then buffing etc. Generally the job turns out OK and if not, I just do it again.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 8:22
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Larry the silver is the same color as the bumper crossbar filler panel and the bumper filler panel used on the 53-54 models. Here are a few pics for reference:

Attach file:

jpg  (78.98 KB)
1_4fbd025e0e41a.jpg 1280X765 px

jpg  (70.59 KB)
1_4fbd02726c34d.jpg 1280X765 px

jpg  (60.39 KB)
1_4fbd0280546c4.jpg 1280X765 px

Posted on: 2012/5/23 10:30
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
OOps there Kev, that pan between the bumper and grill is supposed to be body color. The panels that bolt to the inner edge of the grill--which most 54's don't have, but 51-53's do, are supposed to be a flat silver.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 12:00
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Interesting Ross. That panel came off of my car originally and was silver when I got it. So i assume it was the same as the bumpertte cross bar filler panel which is silver.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 14:35
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Thanks BigKev for the pics. On my car the bumper infill panels were the same as car, and (thinking back) so were the grille inner panels. But my car had been resprayed (including those grille panels - there was paint everywhere on rear of the grille!) and a few other areas were different to standard.

As I mentioned some posts ago (regarding trunk finish) maybe there was a slight difference in the Australian cars, but that seems unlikely. For that era weren't they all assembled in the US?

If this silver looks same as the grille inner panels colour I'll go with that one pending any further info. Will post Matador colour later for Ross. Thanks for fast response!

Posted on: 2012/5/23 19:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Larry51 wrote:
Thanks fellas. Someone I know with a '52 has his painted silver and said he thought that was wrong and they should be body colour, so I went that direction. I'd really appreciate some pics of the silver Jim, and if anyone has a name of the silver that'd help too thanks.

I'd prefer silver anyway, that would seem a better choice.

Hi Larry,

Here are some shots of the front of my '51 200 Deluxe. The car has been repainted a lighter red (there is still maroon under the hood, firewall, door jams & trunk and it is darker). The Silver paint behind the grille is original Packard - the metal piece that I can't think of the name of between the bumper and grille is body color on mine too.

Now, if these will post:

Attach file:

jpg  (38.16 KB)
3087_4fbdabbb568b5.jpg 870X651 px

jpg  (41.92 KB)
3087_4fbdabd1c0f8c.jpg 870X651 px

jpg  (36.24 KB)
3087_4fbdabe1f0fc7.jpg 870X651 px

jpg  (48.34 KB)
3087_4fbdabf003d11.jpg 870X651 px

Posted on: 2012/5/23 22:18
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Thanks Jim, I think I can get a close enough match from the pics that you and BigKev have provided of the silver. I'm just about to PM you the paint formula for the Matador Maroon Metallic. (Bit unsure about sending formulas 'publicly' so I'll do it that way).

For interest's sake (when you get time) it would be nice to know if what you see under your trunk lid is much the same as the Maroon I posted a pic of (above). I think it darkens over the years so some Maroon on an area protected from the weather would give a good notion of the effect of sun on the original. The colour card on this site is very dark - looks more like a very dark brown so not very helpful.

Posted on: 2012/5/24 8:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Larry,

Please PM me the formula as well.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/5/24 10:41
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
It's on its way.

Posted on: 2012/5/24 18:20
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 29 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved