Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
250 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 248

Tobs, Rich49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 »

Re: GM 4L60E Transmission Adapted for 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Any reports???

Posted on: 2011/12/12 10:22
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

smith
See User information
I took our '55 400 up to Bendtsen's 12/07/11 & left it. It's a winter project for Bendtsen which is ok, as it will free up a spot in my shop for another Packard. They are going to be taking pictures & documenting the process.
Bendtsen advised he rebuilds ultramatics & provides warranty for these as well!! We spoke a little about ultramatics, may do some trading of transmissions with him, so he would have rebuilt ones to ship out to those interested.
He also stated there would be no problem installing a 700r4 or other modern overdrive trans in the 56's and still keeping the pushbutton system.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 11:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Thanks for the update. Will be waiting for more updates. If mine doesn't sell by then will be keeping and upgrading.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 12:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
MERRY CHRISTMAS,

and HAPPY NEW YEAR

Posted on: 2011/12/19 14:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Didn't see anything on their website so guess it hasn't been updated yet. Hopefully they'll post some pictures of the 55 they will be or are doing. Am curious if they went to that new compact starter as they did on the S8s or retained the original setup. Really interested in whether they still plan to accommodate the electric shift and if so, how they plan to do it.

Posted on: 2011/12/19 14:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Bob Bendtson Quote:
We are now shipping the Packard V8 adapter kits. They are $895.00 and will allow you to bolt on ANY Chev V8 style automatic transmission.

This implies an "Ultra-Torq" style adapter rather than a replacement bolt-on bell housing like was done with KevinAZ's 4L60E conversion.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/12/19 14:45
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Folks:

I read through all of this and figured I'd throw my two cents in.

I particularly agree with the reciprocating weight comment as regards Ultramatic. The torque converter is way too heavy and, I think, subject to internal fluid slippage.

I was unaware that ad hoc changes were being made on the production line, but that is really scary considering that the trans is only a two speed.

Years ago, the old timers I knew talked about Ultramatic in terms of "good ones" and "bad ones". I saw good ones go to the junkyard because the cars had 100,000 miles on them. Then I saw low mileage cars that never got used because they had "bad ones" and lived in the shop. I drove good ones and they were not bad. Once I even towed a Caddy 12 up and down hills with no problem.

If you are lucky enough to have a "good one" the Ultramatic will perform adequately without much trouble. For those who are having problems because they're stuck with a "bad one" the only other option besides rebuilding a whole nother Ultramatic (possibly another bad one) is to ditch the darn thing.

So don't let UltraDogma trouble your decisions.

Posted on: 2011/12/19 19:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
The torque converter is way too heavy and, I think, subject to internal fluid slippage.

All torque converters are subject to internal fluid slippage. Packard introduced the Direct Drive clutch to eliminate power-robbing slippage when torque multiplication was no longer needed in actual operation. It would take the Big Three another quarter of a century to realize the benefit of that and implement their own designs - many of which came back to the dealer, on the hook.

Quote:
I was unaware that ad hoc changes were being made on the production line, but that is really scary considering that the trans is only a two speed.

Every automaker has made running changes on all sorts of equipment, at one time or another - including transmissions. At least Packard acknowledged and addressed problems rather than waiting until the next model cycle.

Unless it's been flogged, sitting in a mud bog, or ruined by an incompetent mechanic/rebuilder, I don't believe that there's an Ultramatic out there that can't be fixed for no more than a similar rebuild on any modern transmission by a competent, franchised dealer.

It's one thing if someone really wants a modern automatic overdrive transmission in their Packard, but they shouldn't let a bunch of hype sway their decision one way or another.

Posted on: 2011/12/19 22:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I rebuilt my TU myself and have every bit the belief it will work perfectly, but I'm biased to my work, with it's high attention to detail.

But I'm just gonna have to find out later as I have no way to test its road worthiness.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/12/19 23:52
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

smith
See User information
Our 400 has a 700R4 in it now; but can not get the pictures to upload.

Posted on: 2012/2/19 8:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved