Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 197

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 21 »

Re: Adventures with a 1955 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kevin, I still have all the old carpets. If you would like the front carpet to use as a pattern, it is yours.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/23 21:01
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Ross, thanks for your kind words. I too was thinking the carpet material used on the Fifty-fives was like what GM used in those years too. I am liking how the Lowe's indoor-outdoor carpeting is working, inexpensive and attractive. In the future if someone one wants to use original type carpeting, they will have good patterns. Going to other than original without permanent modifications has been my mantra since starting this project. I respect the car too much to make any permanent changes. However, I love your pickups and postwar roadster. Keep up the great work.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/23 21:10
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
yes I would love the carpets as a pattern. I think even my rear carpet have shrank. I would take a paper tracing if that would be easier and that way you can keep your carpets for future reference.

THANKS!

Posted on: 2011/8/23 22:47
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Whoa there Kev--not too fast. The hump and the junction of the hump to the firewall is very different between 54 and 55. Don't think you will find the 55 pattern too useful in the front. I'm just getting ready to cut a rug for a 53 and will sort that for you.

Posted on: 2011/8/24 4:24
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ross, thanks for the info, and perfect! Just let me know.

Posted on: 2011/8/24 10:39
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kevin, Since there is a difference between the 54s and 55s, do you still want the rear carpet?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/24 16:51
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
JW,

I'd better pass and get pattern from Ross's '54 to be safe. But I appreciate you offering!

Posted on: 2011/8/24 17:21
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kevin, I think Ross was saying the front carpets were different, but he did not comment on the rear. I'll wait to hear from you before disposing.

By the way, thanks for all your time, efforts, and expense with the latest server difficulties. I hope posters here will be as generous in their contributions as you have been in attending to our needs. I really appreciate it.

(o{}O)

Posted on: 2011/8/24 18:41
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hello All,

The last garage sessions have yielded some good results. I was able to finish the rejuvenation of the interior. The job was to cut and fit a new front carpet, install the front seat, and affix the new side shields to the seat frame. I am pleased with the results and have declared a victory for this part of the project.

Cutting the new front carpet was not as difficult as I first thought it would be. I had the old carpet to use as a pattern. My concern was fitting the carpet around the pedals. The original carpet was cut for power brakes and automatic transmission. I was able to fit the carpet around the clutch and brake pedals with a little careful measuring and cutting. I first cut a slot in the area where the pedals would pass, then enlarged the slots to have the pedals centered in the holes.

I bought some new carpet trim pieces for the accelerator pedal rod, accelerator pedal pivot bracket, dimmer switch, and brake, and clutch pedal pads and heel pad. I was trying to locate some rubber trim pieces to fit around the brake and clutch pedals but have not found any so far. All of the trim pieces fit under or on the carpeting and dressed up the the areas around the accelerator pedal and dimmer switch.

The heel pad needed to be glued down to the carpet. To do this I laid out where the pad was to go, traced around it, and then masked off the area on the carpet. I used a generous amount spray contact adhesive on the carpet and pad. I carefully placed the pad on the carpet and pressed down on it to assure good adhesive contact. This worked well and the heel pad is there to stay.

I had new foam padding installed in the front seat cushion. This made for a much more comfortable seat. The original foam was turning to dust. I also bought some new seat side shields. The original ones were cracked and showed much wear and tear from many years of use. I found a NOS set, but they were for a senior car. The vendor was able to provide a set of used polished stainless steel trim pieces for these shields. The side shields are not absolutely correct, but the look is nice and I am happy with the outcome.

All of this means that the first phase of the rejuvenation has been completed. The engine compartment, trunk, and interior have all been cleaned and rejuvenated. There are a couple of mechanical items needing attention. The pinion seal leaks as well as the steering box pitman arm shaft seal. These are not mission critical, but need to be changed if I am to do much driving of the car. I would like to get the car repainted at some time in the near future, but that will probably not be until after the first of the year.

I am planning on driving the Clipper to a Cars & Coffee event on Sunday. It is held in a small town about 25 miles northwest of here on the first Sunday of each month. These events are informal gatherings held throughout the country where there is no judging, no awards, no entry fee, no registering. Participants just show up in their vehicle of choice, park it, admire the others, and leave when ready. It will be the first out of town drive for the car since I have owned it. It will probably be the only Packard there, but maybe the 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk (actually painted red and white) will be there. If so, we can compare engines.

I have enjoyed sharing these adventures with you, and pleased with your interest and comments. I'll keep you all posted on the next work on the car, but that may not be for a couple of months. In the mean time take care.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (34.58 KB)
565_4e628a1872b28.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.14 KB)
565_4e628a28860b7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.83 KB)
565_4e628a44a705d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.88 KB)
565_4e628a5605ebb.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.40 KB)
565_4e628a6d24f42.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.49 KB)
565_4e628a894302f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.99 KB)
565_4e628aa4960cd.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (44.42 KB)
565_4e628ad377f6c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.32 KB)
565_4e628ae22da87.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/9/3 15:20
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
I have enjoyed sharing these adventures with you, and pleased with your interest and comments. I'll keep you all posted on the next work on the car...

I have particularly enjoyed your "Adventures..." Keep up the great work!

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/3 16:50
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 21 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved