Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 222

CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 115 116 117 (118) 119 120 121 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is a picture of what the bracket looks like from Max Merrit website. The picture is upside down in relation to how the bracket installs. Looks like come payday, I will have to shell over the $45 as I don't think I am going to local alternative. Looks like he had these made up to function the same as the OEM ones as the actual construction is different, but the functional use is the same.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.19 KB)
1_4d745dce5e22a.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/3/6 23:23
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I need more time to jog my memmory. But the bracket and rubber insulator as pictured above is the same as used on ONE of the following as amuffler hanger:

80 Dodge picup 1/2 ton 6 cylinder LWB, 73 Impala sedan 350 automatic single exhaust, 77or 78 1/2 GMC or Chevy panel vans V8 automatic single exh..

I just can't remeber which one but i believe it is the chevy Impala.

Edit: It mite have been a tail pipe hanger at the very rear of the vehicle too.

Posted on: 2011/3/7 6:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Too bad there wasn't a receipt in the car, Kevin....Midas would have GIVEN you another muffler!...

Posted on: 2011/3/7 11:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kevin, I misunderstood your bracket need, I thought it was the rear tail pipe hanger. I made a rear muffler hanger bracket for my '47 Clipper. It is similar to what you need. I used cut down shock absorber bushings for the rubber mounting. If I had to do it over again I would get one from Max Merritt.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/3/7 11:57
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hans
See User information
Hi Kev,

Thanks to your blog and your wiring diagram I've got my clock running again. I also fixed the speedometer,which was stuck due to the accumulation of thick grease that had probably been propelled up from the cable. A strange thing was that the needle point had broken right off from its base on the shaft. But with some two pack epoxy glue I fixed that too. You photos were a clear guide guide during my repair work.

Under the dash I found a small loose bracket with a double filament fitting and bulb. Is this an under dash courtesy light, because the wire colours seem to point in that direction? Why double filament? Did you find the same thing on your car?

I can't thank you enough for your blog, this way I don't have to invent the wheel all over again.

Hans

Posted on: 2011/3/10 11:38
All the best from Holland!
Hans

Clipper Deluxe Touring sedan 1954
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Most likely it is the courtesy light as Clippers had a single. If it's dual filament, someone put the wrong bulb in. You should have an 82 which is a dual contact, single filament.http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/82.html
The case or outer shell is not used as ground on that lamp as it is provided by the switches via the wiring.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 12:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hans
See User information
Thanks Howard. Do I understand correctly that the two contacts provide plus and minus? The bracket is now hanging loose by its wires,do you know where it was installed originally. My guess is on the edge of the dash panel next to the lower radio bracket?

By the way, in my 35 years of car hobby, I never came across this type of bulb...

Hans

Posted on: 2011/3/10 13:27
Hans

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Hans,

Howard is correct. It should be a double-contact bulb. It attaches to the bottom of the dash almost right under the radio and bulb point towards the firewall. One bulb socket contact wire gets constant power from the harness and the other wire contact connects to to the ground circuit for the dome light system. So when the doors are opened, the door switch grounds and completes the circuit. Because the bulb is switched by it's ground and not it's power feed, that is why it uses a double contact and is not grounded by it's socket shell.

The dome light bulb is wired the same as well.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 13:35
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Yes. The dark blue is power from the circuit breaker and the black and white is ground via either door switch or the headlight switch contact operated by turning the knob to the left and stopping at the notch felt before going all the way to extreme left or all off. I'm not sure where it actually mounted other than somewhere near the center. If you have a likely looking spot, than that is probably it.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.26 KB)
209_4d791b1a08104.jpg 623X510 px

Posted on: 2011/3/10 13:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hans
See User information
OK guys, very useful information. Hope I can trace a 82 type bulb here in Holland then. Tomorrow I will reinstall the instrument panel and fix the ignition switch light. Although my Clipper is a rat car, I like to restore full functionality, that means all the small bulbs too and of course the original radio.

When I was busy under the dash checking the wiring and the lights, I also removed the radio (Packard radio, Wonderbar type). Lovely piece of electrics and mechanics, over the next weeks I'll try to locate someone over here to fix it.

hans

Posted on: 2011/3/10 14:06
Hans

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 115 116 117 (118) 119 120 121 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved