Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 203

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13)

Re: hph's 400
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packardbill
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
Of the cars I've seen, I tend to prefer the black lines on the side trim. It seems to look more finished. How would you go about adding them? Paint pen, marker?

Buegler striper worked for me. Just need the correct size wheel.

Posted on: 4/19 14:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Looks great! Just curious, I've seen 1955 and 1956 Packards with both chrome and with gold scripts even on different cars of the same model. Was the gold an accessory or was it standard only on certain colors?

Posted on: 4/19 16:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Pretty sure the Clippers used silver, and the Packards used gold.

This pattern checks out for what restored parts are on sale for 55. I assume/ IIRC 56 is the same.

Of note they changed from a silver to gold "egg crate" in early 56 production for the seniors, is the only exception I'm aware of.

Posted on: 4/19 18:51
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I’m talking strictly senior models and I’ve seen both. Some of the online suppliers even have both chrome and gold available for the same models.

This all-original 1956 Four Hundred near where I live is a case in point as the scripts are all chrome even if they do not look it in the photos.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 4/20 11:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Clearly all gold in this brochure. Would be curious what you can get in silver.

Except hood letters which I forgot to mention were chrome on all models.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/archive/content.php?op=&catID=5&ContentID=554

Posted on: 4/20 11:13
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Brochures were typically airbrushed into existence before the cars themselves were built so are probably not a good resource for research. For example, the brochure for my 1965 Imperial shows huge chrome LeBaron scripts on the C-Pillar when it actually got a small delicate one with a gold shadow-like backing. Looking on eBay and talking with dealers I have seen NOS chrome The Four Hundred and The Patrician scripts which is what prompted the question.

Posted on: 4/20 12:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe it is detailed in one of the books that early 56 senior grills were chrome but some in styling felt it was a bit too much as the eggcrate detail was sort of lost in the bright background. Around that same time Cadillac came out with a similar gold grill mesh treatment on one of their models and styling took notice. As soon as it was possible to get parts they had the change to gold mesh put into production.

I don't remember reading of any chrome scripts on 55-6 senior models but articles said they did make the Executive scripts chrome when that model came along as a means to denote the Executive as being a slightly lower cost offering.

Posted on: 4/20 12:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you Howard. Yes, I know about the gold grille mesh and about the Executive but it’s the other seniors, especially for 1956, where I’ve seen both chrome and gold scripts. I would expect it to be gold on the Caribbean but the others seem to have both gold and chrome. Maybe the earlier ones before the gold grille mesh appeared had the chrome but that’s just a guess.

Posted on: 4/20 15:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Pretty sure mine are gold.

Posted on: 4/20 16:46
Riki
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved