Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 118

Kiwi Lad, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 39 »

Re: Don’s 1937 (120) 138CD Deluxe Touring Limo
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
For my 1951 Henney-Packard which is on a lift, I found that a transmission jack padded with 2X4s did the job nicely. All the effort in this case (and there was a lot of it) was in connecting the filler and vent hoses but I didn't need to also deal with holding up the tank while doing it.

Posted on: 2023/10/21 21:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Lifting the tank wasn’t the problem for me. It was the exhaust pipe. When it was done in 2004, it was done as a completely welded system. The only issue I had was getting (and holding) the exaust pipe out of the way while I lifted the tank. Once the tank was in place the exhaust pipe held the tank in place while I reconnected the straps.

Posted on: 2023/10/21 22:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Today was a happy day….yesterday was an angry/disappointed day.

I worked on marrying the two sets of horns to make one correct set. The internals of what I had plus the “new” trumpets I found in Hershey. Should be easy, right?

Well….not so fast.

First, I found that the hole pattern was about less than an 1/8in larger on my old internals. So, I had to grind that down to fit the new trumpet base. That wasn’t bad. Then, I had to drill out all the holes on the internals so all the bolts would sit properly. Even that wasn’t too bad, but took some time.

Then, put the first horn together, install it, and test it….nothing…just the click of the relay…no beep.

My next thought was…”great, I went from horns that didn’t look quite right, but worked that I could have been content with to horns that look great and are correct….but don’t work!!”

After some experimenting with another battery on the bench top, I could get a very slight, but only momentary vibration. So, I started thinking my battery was low. It was, but not horrible. Put it on a charger.

Went back to tonight to try it out…still nothing. So full disassembly. With a lot of experimenting I found that there is a quite small window on the adjustments where it works and sounds good or doesn’t work at all. Got it working tonight. Then, went through the modifications on the second one tonight. It worked fine when I was done.

So, after a little frustration yesterday, I now have correct working horns.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_8344.jpeg (459.23 KB)
225755_6538776a29693.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/10/24 21:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Glad you got it worked out. The tone of each unit can be adjusted by changing the point adjustment.(Carefully) The horns on my '37 120 have a very good sound.

Posted on: 2023/10/25 8:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Yeah, there are two adjustments..fine and major. If either one is too far out, the horns don’t work at all.

I do still need to do some tuning on the low horn.

Posted on: 2023/10/25 8:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Finally, completely done with the electrical. The last thing I had to do was trace out the wiring for the electric fuel pump that Dad had installed. It was working back in 2004, but not sure who did what since then. There was no way it could have worked since there was no power wired to the switch jthat was added. The switch is an illuminated switch. It had a ground connection and wire to the fuel pump, but that was it…no power. I added the needed wire for power, and what do ya know? The fuel pump is alive and well!

Down the road, I’ll get the mechanical pump going, but for now, the focus is to get the car running.

I’ve had to re-do almost everything that was done back in 2004, but I’ve sure learned a lot in the process.and made a number of new friends. I’m also having a lot of fun doing it.

I also, got the cowl vent operational. Just needed a spring. Thanks to Bob J for providing a good idea of the size needed. The local hardware store didn’t have exactly what I needed, but it just needed a small modification to shorten the hook to hook length of the spring.

I also got around to an easy item…steering box gear oil. Things still had a light coating of oil, but that was about it. I”m guessing that probably never got checked back in 2004.

Next steps…differential fluid, transmission oil, engine oil, back flush coolant system…..then, see if I get lucky when I try to start her up.

Posted on: 2023/10/28 18:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Need some help. The other day, I checked the steering gear oil. Nothing was bone dry, but there was little to no oil. I filled it with 90W oil. It is clearly leaking.

I’ve attached a page from the service manual and circled where it’s leaking in the diagram.

I’m very new to all of this…in fact, pretty new to working on cars in general.

I’m assuming there is a seal in this area. I’d appreciate any help on how to fix this.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_1455.jpeg (360.60 KB)
225755_65445a4cb3c47.jpeg 1431X2048 px

Posted on: 2023/11/2 21:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Okay…I was fortunate enough to have a business trip to Baltimore this week. I was even more fortunate to be able to extend the trip by a day and spend some time with Bob W and Ross.

I had a great time…Thanks to both!

I came home really excited after Ross encouraged me to just start the car. Change the fluids later after I see how it’s running. I did need to check the condition of the coolant first as it had sat for years with no radiator cap. I drained the coolant and it was quite clean, but only about half full.

So for now, it’s just filled with water. Oil is very old, but full.

So, tomorrow….I’ll get some gas and see if she wakes up! It’s been a long time since I was this excited and nervous at the same time….the last two times were 25 and 27 years ago….when my kids were born.

Posted on: 2023/11/3 22:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Sounds exciting. Just be sure to fill it with antifreeze before the weather gets too cold!

Posted on: 2023/11/4 1:57
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Haven’t gotten it started. I had one try where it really tried to start. Then after that, it just cranks and doesn’t fire at all.

After texting with Ross, I tried checking to see if I’m getting spark, but it does not appear that I am. I think I was getting spark (based on the one instance of it trying to start), but not now.

As mentioned a number of times, this is all new to me..Any guidance on what to check next and how to trouble shoot is greatly appreciated…doing some searching on-line now to see how to check the coil, condenser, etc..

For reference, plugs are new, plug wires are new.

Posted on: 2023/11/4 15:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 39 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved