Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 205

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 28 »

Re: 1937 120 Conv. Sedan - Blanche
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The switch with the lighter color knob is likely the original and is the same as my 1939 and several 1940s. I may even still have a couple in my shop but probably not in any better condition that yours.

Posted on: 3/29 20:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
Got it. Thx. Makes sense. So there are 3 wires from the heater and 2 on the knob. Assume one is a ground?

Posted on: 3/29 20:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I don't recall mine having a ground. One was for the heater blower and the other for the defroster blower which I believe was an option that your car might not have.

Posted on: 3/29 21:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the stock 37 one direction heater motor would have 2 wires, one for ground and one for power. Defroster would have a separate motor with the same wiring. I don't think the heaters with the combination heat/defrost controlled by a reversible motor was available in 37 but those motors had 4 wires and used a 5 position switch with 4 terminals.

While the heater install on the last page of this service letter is of a later heater I believe the wiring suggestion might the same or at least very similar in 37s.

Posted on: 3/29 21:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
Thanks. So my heater does have the dual defroster (Drive and Passenger). I just cleaned up the heater put it back together and reinstalled the 2 wires. Defroster and heater fan. Did the 3 rd wire on the switch have to connect to power?

Posted on: 3/30 16:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
Today I removed the wood flooring and cleaned up underneath best I could

Click to see original Image in a new window

Ran the wires to the headlights and turn signal. Will connect lights when I get the mounts from Steel Rubber and the Sealed Beam adaptors from YnZ.

I started to prep the area for the windlace and sidekick boards. I will need to get the windlace nails.

It looks like these fasteners hold up the sidekick board?

Any leads on where to get these? Or a recco of an alternative ?

Posted on: 3/30 16:21
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Restoration Specialities is really the first go for these kind of clips. You may not find the exact clip, but something that is similar enough to functionally work.

Posted on: 3/30 17:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

37Blanche wrote:
Thanks. So my heater does have the dual defroster (Drive and Passenger). I just cleaned up the heater put it back together and reinstalled the 2 wires. Defroster and heater fan. Did the 3 rd wire on the switch have to connect to power?

In the photo of your disassembled heater I see two motors, a fan, and a blower housing. One motor should operate the blower for the defroster function and the other motor operates the fan for the heater.

In another post you show two switches, one with a light color knob and another with a dark knob. I cannot see enough of the switch backs to tell if they are different type switches or which terminal is for the battery but with two switches, each switch would control one motor. The wiring diagram in the service letter shows the arrangement. A short supply wire from the ign sw connects to the BAT terminal on the heater switch and a jumper wire connects from that same BAT terminal over to the BAT terminal on the second or defroster switch. If there are no fuses on the switches I would suggest adding a 20 amp inline fuse in the short battery supply wire between the ign switch and heater switch connection. Where you position the switches on the dash is up to you but the service articles suggests the defroster switch is to the left of the driver and the heater is controlled by the switch toward the center of the car. The second terminal on each switch connects one of the wires at a motor. The other wire on each motor is grounded.

Posted on: 3/30 17:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
Thanks Howard. I was just reading the article and came to the same conclusion. This answers the question for why 2 switches!!

I was looking at the switches today and I did see a “BAT” terminal and a “MOT” terminal.

Thanks again this is very helpful!!

Posted on: 3/30 18:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My 1939 did have two switches and a heater/defroster that looked just like yours but the switches matched each other. I don't recall if my 1940 had one or two but it had the Deluxe heater which was different.

Posted on: 3/30 23:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 28 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved