Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 218

Ozstatman, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 21 »

Re: 1950 Packard 288 Auto overheating HELP
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The thermostat in this engine is being held in with a spring and I understand there is a metal tube also used for this. Is anyone using the tube instead of the clip on one of these motors?

The spring wire or sleeve thermostat retainers are each particular to the individual type of thermostat housing, not used interchangeably or in conjunction with each other.

Posted on: 2010/6/13 19:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
You mentioned that the car had been restored. Did they put a heavy coat of paint on the radiator? Paint doesn't transfer heat well.

Posted on: 2010/6/13 22:43
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

49packard wrote:
You mentioned that the car had been restored. Did they put a heavy coat of paint on the radiator? Paint doesn't transfer heat well.

I recently had the radiator of my '47 Custom re-cored because it was the original one and was leaking. After getting the radiator back from the shop I spent some time removing the heavy paint from the top and bottom tanks. It was thick enamel over a heavy coat of primer. I refinished the tanks and cradle with a thin coat of black lacquer, and even a lighter spray painting of the core. I wanted as little impedance to heat transfer as I could get.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/6/14 10:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Well-done, John. Eastwood sells a special low-solids black paint specifically for radiator cores if one is so inclined. No personal experience to say if it's any better than just putting down a very light coat of most any other black paint, but I did use the Eastwood product on my 56 core which is still original and gives very effective cooling.

Posted on: 2010/6/14 10:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I thought the black radiator paint used by good shops was a special formulation asphaltic based stuff. Designed for flexibility so as not to flake on expansion and a special pigment that conducts heat well--much better than leaving a core bare which would invite corrosion. As mentioned, ordinary paint blocks heat transfer and is too hard but this stuff supposedly is just the opposite. While it appears thick, claims are there is actually more surface area to radiate. Is this not the case?

Posted on: 2010/6/14 10:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
My father owned and operated a radiator shop for over thirty years and all that time he never used anything but a light coat of lacquer. I don't know about the newer specialty paints. I just know what he did must have worked. Because that and the quality of his work caused the customers in town to keep him in business long after he tried to quit repairing radiators and concentrate on automotive glass.

Posted on: 2010/6/14 19:58
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I asked the radiator shop not to paint the radiator because I knew of the heavy enamel on on the tanks. Others may wish to refinish their own radiators after getting them back from the shop - for peace of mind.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/6/14 21:59
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd really be surprised if true radiator paint was alphaltum-based, it would be a poor choice for heat transfer.

Posted on: 2010/6/14 22:06
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
I don't know about the type of paint on this radiator. What ever it is someone put it on real thin. I can see the metal behind it.

Kevin

Posted on: 2010/6/16 9:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Changed my mind.

Posted on: 2010/6/17 12:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 21 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved