Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 167

tsherry, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 28 »

Re: 1937 120 Conv. Sedan - Blanche
Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
I am going to try the fender welting. The original does not look rubber, but more like the wind lace or welting.

Posted on: 4/3 8:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I had no artifact left on my panels to start so had no idea what went there other than the rib left in the bottom return of the metal lip. I just used it there as it indicated such on the poly bag's label from Kanter. It very may well be the wrong thing, but it works and looks nice. I am sorry, I was wrestling with it during install and never took a picture. The small scrap that was left got round filed years ago.
Bob J.

Posted on: 4/3 8:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
Progress is slowing now that I am back to my day job. Was off last week.

Cut and installed new floor board and toe board.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Got in new lamp switch and stop switch from Max

Sweated off the fitting from the old sending unit and put on new sending unit.

Next I am going to finish up wiring for the lights. The adaptor came in for the headlights for the sealed beam conversion. Will try not to burn all my finger tips when soldering the tips for the other bulb sockets!

Posted on: 4/3 9:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
Is the cane stick suppose to be painted? or a bare metal? or personal preference?

Posted on: 4/3 10:10
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I know the ones on the 115-C are painted black. I'm not sure if the 120-C ones are painted black or chromed. I got one from Flackmaster that was chromed and used that instead. I'm not sure if that was from a 120-C or if the chromed stick was unique to the 120/138-CD models. I'll have to consult the parts book.

Posted on: 4/3 10:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It shows the 115-C models had their own, and the 120C, 120CD and 138CD shared their own. So, based on that, I would assume yours should be chromed. Now, having it re-chromed may be a bear as I don't think the cane is removable from the transmission top assembly. I think that part was chromed and then swedged/welded/etc into that assembly.

Posted on: 4/3 10:37
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Mine had some flakes of nickel left here and there, but mostly rust. I could see no way to take mine apart either, so I simply painted mine. Many primer coats and wet sanding to get'er smooth and then a few top coats to get'er shiny. Not chrome like the factory but looks very nice. But as you know, my car is not a stickler to originality.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  shifter.JPG (584.68 KB)
225215_660d8a4c6c7a6.jpg 1106X1352 px

Posted on: 4/3 11:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Parts like that can be brush chromed. I have the equipment but haven't tried using it yet!

Posted on: 4/3 12:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I think some of the ad copy states that the 120 shifters were nickle plated. A dull silver with clear coat would probably look very close once the clear coat yellowed.

Posted on: 4/3 12:11
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you look at this picture:

The one on the left was on my car when I got it, and the one on the right is what I replaced it with.

A couple of things to note, besides the finish:

The length from the shift knob until the first bend is shorter on the chrome one. So I don't know if one or the other is from a later/earlier year or what. But it fits better in my application as the longer black one was almost into the dashboard. I think this was because the transmission is sitting about two inches further forward than the original in my car.

There does appear to be a pin at this location that possibly holds the cane in place. However, I never inspected either unit that deeply before installing it, so I don't know how far it can be taken apart. But you can see that the cane and transmission top are a unified assembly.

Posted on: 4/3 12:38
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 28 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved