Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 114

Kiwi Lad, JKowFam, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 139 140 141 (142) 143 144 145 ... 195 »

Re: Henry's 55 Constellation
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hank, my point was not to keep doing these short runs. The one you did should not have caused any problems as it was so short and you had the cam and lifters with assembly lube. Great sounding engine, you gotta be a proud papa. Check with JV when you get ready to do a break in run. What kind of motor oil are you using?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/4/23 13:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i believe it was mobil 1 full synthetic. (can't remember exactly) i figured, might as well go with the good stuff i use in my daily drivers for the first break in.

i know we could debate about what to use, so i was reserved to answer this question.

but thats whats in there and i'm gonna leave it for break in. and i'll be using that for the engine life. never had issues in my supercharged z3 with it, so i like it.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 14:47
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hank, Mobil 1 is good stuff. It all depends on the viscosity, of course. I use the Classic Car Motor Oil (15W-40) in all my old cars (high zinc content and other good additives), because they all have flat tappets. Probably over kill, but oil and filters are the most important things you can put in an engine, and the least expensive. Don't cheat on motor oil and filters, not worth the risk. You will get as many opinions on motor oil as there are people out there. Take care.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/4/23 16:39
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Hank:

When I bought my Clipper last year, the first question I asked the seller was what kind of oil it took. Like the other gentleman, he told me it was 15W-40, though I don't think it was Classic Car Motor Oil. I later found out that the oil he recommended is commonly used in diesel engines. This is not as bad as it sounds. That type of oil maintains its viscosity for as long or longer than regular motor oil. The seller also recommended that I use a racing designed zinc additive and when I went to get it at a local NAPA, I learned that there is a particularly high-zinc racing oil in 15W-40 commonly used in NASCAR race cars. It is more expensive than regular oil -- like Classic Car Motor Oil -- but if it is good enough for a race car, I guess it would be OK for a Packard, right? Anyway, my point is this: the 352 CID V-8 in our car is not the same as the engine in a new Cadillac, BMW, or Toyota. While Mobil 1 is the oil I use in my CTS, I would not use it in the Clipper.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 18:14
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
can always dump the zinc additive in the mobil 1 as well.

anyways, moving on.

flushed the block today with just water from the hose. then drained it from the block on the driver's side.

then put on the new brass water inlet I got from packards-today

I polished it up as it came rather dingy, then I clear painted it. naturally I attached with stainless bolts. yes I know its supposed to be engine color, but I like the brass as it adds a bit that others don't normally have.

then attached the upper hose, yes I know the clamp is wrong, but I like them.

soon I will be working on the radiator core support so I can mount the radiator. I got 5 gallons of 50/50 today along with rust inhibiter and water wetter.

didn't get the trans fluid, type F, as that will have to wait till next time I get paid. although I wonder on the fluid as I have the more modern GM clutch material. hmmmmm

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (84.76 KB)
491_518edac05b6cf.jpg 768X1024 px

jpg  (87.15 KB)
491_518edac5e6a49.jpg 768X1024 px

jpg  (85.07 KB)
491_518edacad2ea1.jpg 768X1024 px

jpg  (96.32 KB)
491_518edacf874a2.jpg 768X1024 px

jpg  (76.39 KB)
491_518edad4b5c74.jpg 768X1024 px

jpg  (114.40 KB)
491_518edada2677f.jpg 768X1024 px

jpg  (82.94 KB)
491_518edae0e6ac4.jpg 768X1024 px

jpg  (89.58 KB)
491_518edae5d8ce3.jpg 768X1024 px

jpg  (127.30 KB)
491_518edaecf08fb.jpg 768X1024 px

Posted on: 2013/5/11 18:58
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hank, the engine is looking most attractive. I used a fail safe type thermostat, the kind that if it fails goes into the open position. If you have new anti freeze then you do not need the rust inhibitor and water wetter. Your wire hose clamps look nice, but no Corbin type hose clamps? Most people do not use them because of the hassle installing and removing them. I seem to recall that there was a discussion about matching transmission friction materials and fluid. Can't advise further, but maybe someone here can recall the topic.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/12 19:25
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hank, been thinking about your use of Mobil 1 as a break in oil. I don't think this is a good idea. I would use a good quality conventional oil with lots of zinc for break in and then think about using a synthetic. Modern engines are designed to be used with synthetics, but our Packards were designed in another time for oils that were available then. Main concern would be cam lobe and lifter wear in the break in period. Just my thoughts.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/12 19:32
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Hank your engine looks magnificent. I see the by pass filter, is it faux? Quick question, which oil pump system will you use??

Posted on: 2013/5/12 22:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
JW:

http://www.zddplus.com/

also the mobil 1 i used has zddp in it still, but the zddpplus will bring it up to snuff. they are the oil for NASCAR, so it goes to reason it should have some zddp in it. From some of the charts i have found it will be higher then the break in oils once i add it. so no worries.

check this chart, it shows the zddp levels in each grade of their oil.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

i just wondered about the trans fluid as i have the GM plate material and not the original. i will probably contact Peter Fitch and ask him what he does when he upgrades the plate materials.

the clamps came with the hose kit from Max and i liked them, nothing against the corbin, had they been with the kit i would have used them instead.

Kev:

it is note fake, and it has a stacked filter in it, not the pleated. the stacked has more filtration area and seems to be a bit harder to find. imaging a bunch of pancakes stacked on top of each other....thats what it is like.

the oil pump is the original style and has been fresh rebuilt. Talking to Jack Vines....it will be efficient enough for my driving. i want to retain the vacuum wipers. this car wont be driven as often as some of those on the board. although it wont be a trailer queen. i drive my z3 about 2500 miles a year and that is my other play toy. when i first started the Packard, i had zero lifter clicking, so i have very good oil pressure.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 8:14
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Your engine looks great - beautiful paint job.

I was just taking a nervous look at an FAQ site on Ultramatic Fluid (as I contemplate fitting the Ultra back in my '51). Site is at Ultramatic Fluid

That site mentions the newer materials and there's a brief discussion about what to use for (example) GM materials like the Kanter-supplied linings etc. There are other sites no doubt. This one hasn't been updated since 2009 so maybe there are some changes to these recommendations -?

Posted on: 2013/5/19 7:36
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 139 140 141 (142) 143 144 145 ... 195 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved