Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 113

Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 29 »

Re: Larry's 1951 Club Sedan Project
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Mal, it's a small world alright! He's fortunate to have avoided some huge crashes . . . I remember seeing the rear tyre marks left after one of his runs. They deviated from 'straight ahead' by perhaps 10feet to either side. Crazy stuff back then, but of course quite a few have done it since he started over 30 years ago.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 7:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...It does make me wonder if anyone has ever built a motorcycle powered by an inline eight -?? (Where's Guscha - he'd know)...

Hi Larry, 8? How about 48? I am in Johannesburg(South Africa) for business. A crazy country full of contrasts.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 17:46
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Guscha wrote:
Quote:
...It does make me wonder if anyone has ever built a motorcycle powered by an inline eight -?? (Where's Guscha - he'd know)...

Hi Larry, 8? How about 48? I am in Johannesburg(South Africa) for business. A crazy country full of contrasts.

It seems to me that I've seen a picture of an inline 8 motorcycle - maybe posted here? It was a couple of years ago.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 17:57
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
This way please to a homemade straight eight bike.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 3:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Nice Suzuki 8 - impressive but not heavy enough!

How about a transverse Packard straight8! Across the frame would be a real engineering challenge.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 8:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Engine started

It's now Christmas and (just like everyone else I talk to) I wonder where the year has gone!

Good progress on the car over recent times, the most significant event being the starting of the engine a few weeks ago. Like other milestones, I got a real buzz from hearing the engine running. According to the chap who sold me the car (- in pieces -) the engine has not run since around mid 1970's.

So after taking many weeks to do a full rebuild it was very nice to have it start and run without any problems.

Here's a short video . . . . . Engine Running

(Let me know if you have any problem viewing the video)

Leading up to starting the engine . . . .

I had to get a lot done after fitting it into the car and amongst other tasks to do before I could contemplate starting it was waiting for a 6volt coil to arrive from Kanter. So I decided to test one of the (probably 60-year old) original coils I had. Very pleased when it produced a decent spark.

Also to be finalized was the filling of the Ultramatic with ATF and connection of the tailshaft and gearshift levers. (The car is on blocks so as to be able to check the Ultramatic operation). Of course that meant fitting the steering shaft complete with steering box . . . which had to be reconditioned and brought back to 'as new' condition.

Very few of my '51 parts are in good condition. Generally parts need a lot of work and TLC to restore them.

So the short of it was that I needed to do many weeks of work restoring parts and fitting them before I could contemplate an engine start. I ordered a set of gauges (- oil/ temp/ amps) so as to be immediately aware of oil pressure when the engine was first run (- and these will be fitted to the cockpit eventually). A battery cutout and leads were fitted and various other bits and pieces reconditioned and fitted as well. It was pleasing to find I had an original battery isolation switch I could use - still on a rusty old wreck I have stored away out of town.

Starter was reconditioned, tested and fitted, as was the generator. Then fan and fan belt and other necessary parts. Hundreds of hours in total.

The Ultra oil cooler had a water leak, which had to be silver soldered. The original fittings and pipe ends were corroded so new ones were made. A temporary short rubber hose from pump into a glass jar would provide the petrol as the petrol tank is yet to be placed in the car.

Couldn't find the original transmission shift lever so I made another from 5/16" rod and a piece of hex bar, the rods threaded at each end and the hex bar threaded internally to suit. Couple of lock nuts added as well. This works well, with plenty of adjustment available.

I filled the Ultramatic with ATF (Type F as recommended here) and was thankful that only a small drip leaked from the oil pan gasket overnight. This would be ok and I planned to replace it later, after the start session.

Because I have no full exhaust I fitted a one-foot long pipe to take the exhaust away from the manifold. It was going to be noisy but I have good neighbours.

Fitted the new radiator and water pipes, filled the sump with oil and there were no leaks. So far I was very pleased with the way things were progressing, with no coolant or oil leaks.

I did a test crank and the engine was trying to run with intermittent firing. Seemed like timing might be out, although I had 'static' timed it carefully. Loosened the distributor and rotated it then cranked the engine again. It started quite easily and ran ok. Killed it after around two minutes and checked for any leaks etc. None found.

Topped up the ATF to 'Full' on the stick (- obviously the Ultra converter had filled ok).

Ran the engine again (at around 1200 rpm as good as I could guess) and selected different gears while listening for nasty noises in the transmission. All was ok, with wheels spinning in forward and reverse gears.

Then I ran the engine again with vacuum advance disconnected to check timing with a strobe. Adjusted timing as per manual but engine slowed a little so I moved it a couple of degrees back and revs picked up. Possibly a distributor problem - to be checked later.

Took off tappet covers and looked for oil in/ around valve springs etc. There was very little but opinion seems to be that when the car is driven at higher revs there should be plenty of oil splashed to the valve stems and guides etc. Hope that this is correct!

Later I drained the transmission and made and fitted another gasket. Well . . . . this one leaked very badly so I drained the fluid again and the next day was lucky to find a parts place that had thick (1.5mm) gasket material.

This stuff is hard to work with but I managed to make a new oil pan gasket after a lot of effort with a Gem Blade and scissors. Hopefully this will create a good seal.

Now I'm working on rewiring the car, so will post again soon on progress.

Merry Christmas to all!

Posted on: 2013/12/24 7:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Congratulations; she sounds good. A tribute to all of the patient craftsmanship you have expended. That maroon paint looks very nice.

Posted on: 2013/12/24 12:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Larry, congrats but please put a crease in your new bluey before doing movies.

Posted on: 2013/12/24 13:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Great job! Engine sounds really nice!

Posted on: 2013/12/24 15:07
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Thanks Ross, Charles and Guscha!

I'll ask my wife if she'll iron a crease in the 'overalls' to make me look a lot neater and like a real Packard Technician (- very necessary!).

Posted on: 2013/12/24 19:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 29 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved