Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: 32 Exhaust wrap
Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Would it make sense to do both ceramic coating and the wrap on the header pipe? I'm definetely doing the wrap, but was wondering if using the ceramic coating would lower the temperature even futher. Since the pipe would be wrapped, it wouldn't appear incorrect.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 17:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don't quite understand the concern with heat, these cars generally run very cool - mine almost never goes over the thermostat setting of 160 regardless of circumstance. And I don't know that a ceramic coating would enhance heat transfer, it might actually inhibit it.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 17:21
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The ceramic is an insulator, so it helps to keep items near the exhaust pipe cooler. But i would imagine that the inside of pipe would then be hotter as the heat is not being radiated out.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 17:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I got my exhaust in from Waldron. I'm confused. Mu existing exhaust goes straight out therear from the passenger side. The tail pipe they send looks like it switches the exhaust tailpipe to the driver side which doesn't make sense to me. Before I complain, I need to do some research but any input on what is correct would be appreciated. All pictures I have seen show the exhaust coming outthe passenger side.

Posted on: 2010/3/23 23:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Well Bird-Man, I don't know what to say about the exhaust routing, but I can tell you this; rest assured, Joe the owner will make it right, one way or another. Joe has proven this to me beyond a doubt. Kind of a rare thing in business these days.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/3/24 0:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Jim,

His response on this forum was one reason I went with him even though he was the most expensive supplier. I assume that I will be taken care of sorta like how quietride took care of me on the the firewall insulator. First though I need to confirm if the exhaust routing should be straight back or does it cross over to exit from the rear driver's side.

Posted on: 2010/3/24 1:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Thnank to Owen, he pointed out that there were service letters indicating Packard recommending changing from the cross over pipe to a staright pipe and adding a heat shield for vapor lock issues. I will ask Waldron to bend me a new exhaust pipe as they may be technically right, but their web site photo shows a exhaust pipe going straight back.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 0:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
tbirdman, here's an excerpt from the Service Letters which addresses the issue.

Attach file:

jpg  (193.77 KB)
177_4bab6838de449.jpg 800X1253 px

Posted on: 2010/3/25 8:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
owen,

i spoke with Fred Mauck today who knows 32s pretty well. He said he's never seen a 32 withthe tailpipe coming out the left rear. However He also didn't know about those service letters either.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 21:54
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'm very surprised that Fred wasn't aware of this as he has been in the "game" for a long time. It goes to show that you can indeed learn something new every day!

I think this is a makes a perfect example why we need to get as much information scanned and stored in the archive as possible. It proves that not everything is know about these cars and there is lots of information still hidden away in peoples desks and file cabinets.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 22:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved