Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 209

Darrin180, R H, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: air conditioning in 1953
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
If memory serves me correctly, the combination 6/12-volt battery switching was marketed to owners of 6-volt cars who wanted the extra starter boost of a 12-volt battery for starting only, and then run on the 6-volt side after the car started. I believe it was a series-parallel switch using two 6-volt batteries.

I know of one owner who is running modern Saden compressor and clutch on his pre-war Packard. He has a 12-volt battery mounted in the trunk to provide electrical power for the compressor clutch. Says he needs to recharge the battery from time to time, but that it is a satisfactory fix until he can get his original compressor repaired.

More mud for the water.

(o{}o)

Dwight says above that he is running the 12v Sanden compressor on 6v with Sanden's blessing. Maybe the person you are speaking of could try that and see how it goes.

Posted on: 2011/8/15 17:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

dwightrh wrote:
"Overheating" should never be an issue with any postwar Packard that is at factory specs. Overheating is often in the mind of the owner, rather than a reality. I define overheating if there is boiling in the radiator or coolant loss. A temp. gauge pointer that is close to H does not necessarily mean the car is overheating...

Dwight, you make a good point. This got me to thinking that perhaps oil temperature is more critical to engine operation than coolant temperature. Has anyone ever used an oil temp gauge on a Packard? If so, on what car and what were the readings when compared to coolant temperature?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/15 17:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, how clever of you! I'll pass on the information. Thanks.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/15 17:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
When talking to the people in Ohio who make the 6/12 combination battery, they specifically said it's not for running accessories, such as radios, ac, etc. Now if you had 2 6 volts, you could work with them however you wanted.

Someone mentioned taking a nail and driving it into the middle of a 12v battery to get 6v out the center post...classy! :0)

Posted on: 2011/8/15 18:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Someone mentioned taking a nail and driving it into the middle of a 12v battery to get 6v out the center post...classy! :0)

Where is Jeff Foxworthy when you need him. He could probably come up with a dozen jokes with that scenario.

Posted on: 2011/8/15 19:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I do want to confirm a 12V Sanden clutch will pull in at a lower voltage. No explanation for why I didn't try it earlier since a compressor has been sitting available for months. I do not have a 6v battery but I do have a 50A battery charger which, when the clutch is engaged, is delivering 7.25v. Clutch current draw at that voltage is 1.58 amps. It does sound a bit slower to come in and I have no way of checking how tightly the clutch is grabbing but with Dwight and apparently others having no issues, perhaps this is something worth looking into further.

I also think it is worth looking into the possibility of one or two 6v heater motors being substituted on a typical hang on unit--or even a trunk unit. I know other forums have mentioned the possibility but not sure how (which unit) or if they did.

The heater motors are smaller but available from several Ford and Chevy places--maybe even our vendors. The shafts are smaller but 1/4 to 5/16 shaft adapters or extensions are readily available from several places or could be made. If the original wheel on a unit was not suitable, plastic blower wheels in several sizes are all over the place and many are reversible so motor rotation would not be an issue. The issue would be that I don't find any dual shaft 6v motors--just singles. The typical aftermarket hang on with motor in center and dual wheels would need some thought--but also workable.

Posted on: 2011/8/16 12:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. We have several positive reports of the Sanden clutch operating just fine on 6v. The question here is whether or not such Sandens are from ONLY aftermarket suppliers of AC systems to the classic car market.

Let me pose the question another way:
Are there any Sandens used on current PRODUCTION automobiles of the last 30 to 40 years?????

Let me pose the question a 3rd way:

Perhaps the Sandens supplied by aftermarket suppliers to the classic car market are special orders compressors from Sanden with clutches that are NOT 12v clutches but rather something like 8v or maybe 9v clutches??????

And a 4th way:

Is it possible that any CURRENT PRODUCTION Sandens in current/recent PRODUCTION 12v systems would NOT work on 6v????

Here it is a 5th way:
If i went and grabbed a Sanden from a junk yard dog would it work on 6v just fine too?????

IF the Sandens that work just fine on 6v OR 12v are special order clutches then it somewhat begs the question of how long such clutches would last on 12v systems. Of course such a question is of no concern to 6v system owners but it mite be to 12v owners using Sanden.

Think about it. Especialy with R134 running at $16/lb not to mention the effort/resources to change the compressor for 12v system owners.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 7:35
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I would really think that the clutches are the same for OEM vs aftermarket, as most aftermarket sanden people make drop-in compressors for certain cars (it really has to do with pulley type and size and connection location {clock position} of the rear hose hook ups.). I would not think twice about grabbing a junk yard unit and testing it, but then again i see them on ebay for $50 sometimes new.

Sanden is kind of a generic term for the type, i'm sure by now they are made by 50 different mfrs with slightly differing specs. But I've never heard of anything swapping compressors and having some issue related to not enough voltage for the new one vs the old.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 9:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Hello all, new member and soon to be Packard owner here. The car is a '53 Clipper Deluxe 2 door that I've committed to purchase by telephone and will pick up and trailer home tentatively the weekend following Labor Day. We have about 3 months of hot and humid brutal summers here in the North Central Florida peninsula and therefore I am also very interested in adding AC to this superb automobile. The heat didn't bother me as a kid but after living about 3/4ths of my 59 years within close proximity to AC, I admit I'm spoiled and prefer not to drench myself in sweat if I don't have to. If any member owns a '51 thru '54 that has added AC to a non AC'd car, I would certainly be interested in hearing about their experience. Here's a couple of interesting links I ran across concerning the subject of AC in Packards.

http://www.popularrestorations.com/Articles/Article420.htm

http://www.popularrestorations.com/Restorations/Restoration012.htm

The bottom link shows an underhood photo of the Patrician's original compressor and the mounting bracket for the straight 8 application.

Posted on: 2011/8/26 9:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Since you'll likely be using a sanden compressor, you can hide it in more places than you could that old big one.

I'm not sure in the 51 and up, but in the 23rd series it looks like there's plenty of room to hide it on the sides, especially if you don't have the oil filter option.

Posted on: 2011/8/26 10:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved