Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 113

JD in KC, Guscha, JW49, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 ... 31 »

Re: DO NOT TRUST BTV
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Jed and Eric are on an interesting variation. It will be enlightening to see how Jed's effort turns out.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/12/20 20:04
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Interesting in that the illustration shows the brake pedal with the longest side on the horizontal. All the ones I have seen have it on the vertical. Illustrator's freedom of expression?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2009/12/21 11:34
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Interesting in that the illustration shows the brake pedal with the longest side on the horizontal.

That's because it's a clutchless (Ultramatic) equipped car.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 12:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Interesting in that the illustration shows the brake pedal with the longest side on the horizontal.

That's because it's a clutchless (Ultramatic) equipped car.

O_D all of the Ultramatic equipped Packards I have seen with non-power brakes have had the long side of the brake pedal oriented on the vertical. Have you ever seen a factory stock Packard with the brake pedal in the same orientation as the one in the illustration? It would take a special pedal to be oriented in this position given how the brake (and clutch) pedal(s) attach to the actuating lever(s). I know there was some discussion about this kind of pedal orientation earlier, but claims seem to be they were field modifications. This placement is new to me. Don't mean to use up a lot of bandwidth on this, but it looks unusual to me.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2009/12/21 18:09
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
O_D all of the Ultramatic equipped Packards I have seen with non-power brakes have had the long side of the brake pedal oriented on the vertical. Have you ever seen a factory stock Packard with the brake pedal in the same orientation as the one in the illustration?

Yes, on a V8 Clipper, don't recall if 55 or 56. But with so many owners who fidget and "improve" things, perhaps it was not correct. With so little affection given to nicely preserved original cars, we're rapdily loosing our reference base.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 18:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Yes, on a V8 Clipper, don't recall if 55 or 56. But with so many owners who fidget and "improve" things, perhaps it was not correct. With so little affection given to nicely preserved original cars, we're rapdily loosing our reference base.

Okay, this is my last post on this subject.

I wonder why the illustrator depicted the brake pedal in this position? Do you suppose Packard was considering using this orientation, but it never went into production? We have seen illustrations in sales brochures that were not true to production cars. Technical illustrations serve a different purpose than those used for sales brochures. In my opinion it is more important that they be accurate. Maybe in this case, and others, we are implying an exactness which does not exist?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2009/12/21 18:29
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Clutch and brake pedal is the same #. Then, if used with Ultramatic, there is a separate part number for the pedal so that must be the sideways one. Power brakes have the pedal and arm as a unit and another number.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 18:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
es, on a V8 Clipper, don't recall if 55 or 56. But with so many owners who fidget and "improve" things, perhaps it was not correct. With so little affection given to nicely preserved original cars, we're rapdily loosing our reference base.

Quote:
Okay, this is my last post on this subject.

I agree, this hostility towards what people do to their own cars is getting rather old and tiring.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 19:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Eric, you're too sensitive! There was no hostility in my comment, just an observation and my own likes and dislikes. I've always been an advocate of "its your car, do as you please".

What the hell is it with everyone on this website lately? Seems we're all waiting to jump down someone's throat. Getting to the point where you're won't be able to say the sky is blue without getting blasted by someone. That's what's getting old and tiring.

Let's have a little sanity return here before Kev decides he's had enough of us all.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 20:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Let's have a little sanity return here before Kev decides he's had enough of us all.

........and we DON'T want that do we?

Posted on: 2009/12/21 20:43

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved