Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
246 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 245

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 201 202 203 (204) 205 206 207 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard, yes, I will probably pull most everything apart that has "soft" parts that need to be replaced. I figure I am going to have to get creative on some of the tools needed.

I found this for the High Range clutch removal, which was $36 on eBay, w/ free shipping.

I guess those welds are factory. Man they sure are not uniform in nature. i was surprised to find the SSB on the subject.

Any thoughts on the condition of those HR Clutch facings? I dont know what a new one is supposed to look like, so I cant gauge how worn these ones are.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.22 KB)
1_56cb8912c9f5c.jpg 500X395 px

Posted on: 2016/2/22 17:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I can't see enough detail but they appear to be the original cork. If you didn't find a lot of friction material in the pan then there is hope it wasn't used much or at least was used wisely or had a rebuild.

JMO, but because of the old cork I would bite the bullet and get one of Kanters rebuild kits. It comes with bushings, seals, new clutch plates and steels, gaskets and a few other things. The kit does not come with a DD clutch or bands so unless the DD clutch has chunks coming off or is obviously thin and worn it will probably be dry but otherwise usable. If it is dry you might get the mooing sound as it comes in but many of us live with that. I've got some around somewhere and will measure just to give an idea of what to expect. Can't remember if the boxed one I have was new or used though.

Same with the bands. If there are no chunks missing and you can see grooves or at least a uniform thickness those are probably OK too. If the adjust screw was not all the way in there is probably life left in them. Be sure to check the condition of the anchor pins holding the levers. Those pins are a weak spot and frequently cracked.

EDIT: Measured some used items. 3 DD clutches. I'd say usable is around .160-.165. One DD clutch was used but looked almost new with deep grooves. A couple were obviously worn and those were at .140 and .150. Bands same. Measured 4 of them. Good grooves was .160 again and seriously worn was .130 with the other two in the middle. Grooves seem to start going at about .145.

These were all cork so can't say what modern or even NOS stuff would measure but I would say if your DD clutch and bands come in somewhere around .160 they should be usable unless you want to get it all while it's open. Plan to spend a couple of hundred for DD and another 100 ea for exchange relined items with Kanter. No idea what items from Ultramatic Dynamics goes for.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 17:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard, thanks for that info. I'll have to go measure mine. The bands have grooves, but I think are rock hard.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:49
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kevin, even if your DD disc seems unworn, if you can't easily press your fingernail into it and leave a little temporary depression, don't reuse it.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 22:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Kev- your guts look really good, I see uniform wear on the items you have posted. Your Jump tubes look fine, I have seen far worse, all you will need to do is replace the o-rings which will come with a kit, you will find the old ones will be hardened. They will just pop back into place. I do have new if you want to go that route. Bands look good, plenty of lining grooves left but for $200 may want to just go new. Clutch packs are worn, defiantly get new with the newer linings, stay away from NOS cork on E-bay, Cork wears way to fast. The welds on the back of the housing IS factory, they are pretty ugly on every one I have torn down. The wire was a pretty great way to take out the other jumpers, I usually use a pair of welding pliers since they are serrated on both parts of the needle nose and they pop right out.

Have fun with it.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 22:17
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
My blog is your friend. It's all laid out there for you.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 23:59
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Henry, just skimmed your blog again. I forgot how much rust yours appeared to have inside upon tear down. Luckily mine appears pretty clean in that regards. Perhaps being an all aluminium case helped in that regards.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 0:22
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Keep going there is a second trans that I got and rebuilt. It looked about the same as yours does. The first one I kept for parts as your right it was junk.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 0:57
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
FWIW, if your band can't get in the groove, it's time to look for some new musicians.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 9:17
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
*rimshot*

Posted on: 2016/2/24 9:21
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 201 202 203 (204) 205 206 207 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved