Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
249 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 248

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 205 206 207 (208) 209 210 211 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I used the standard gearbox in my '52 but you'll probably have to change the arm too. On '52 at least, it was longer on the PS car, so you'll ultimately find it not only steers better but will also have a slightly tighter turning radius..

Posted on: 2016/3/14 22:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Howard, good to know, thank you. Is the Bendix unit the one with the three hoses?

4 hoses actually. Long pressure and return hoses and two short pressure hoses between the control valve and power cylinder.

You might also check out plate 128. There is a clamp that bolts to the frame to hold the two long hoses. If he has one it might be nice to get to save the trouble of fabrication.

Posted on: 2016/3/14 22:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks Howard, looking at it now.

Posted on: 2016/3/14 22:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ross, did you happen to look at those bellhousings?

I wonder if having those extra passages milled is going to be the answer.

Posted on: 2016/3/16 21:25
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
kev,

I have a Bendix too, no pump, got it out of a 56 clipper,

I have Monroe, thought the Bendix was better, but ,, I guess its depends, on person, ..what they want,

if you want another, I don't want anything for it, I will have to dig it out! lol

Posted on: 2016/3/16 23:44
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
spent all day working on income tax stuff. Will try to do my Ultra-research today. Have your jumper tubes, btw.

Posted on: 2016/3/17 6:41
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks Ross, just let me know what your recommended path forward is with the Bellshousing.

Posted on: 2016/3/17 15:25
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
OK, got it.

Referring to your post with the colored arrows:

Green arrow is for the old style feed to the direct drive clutch. Even after they went to the new style, they must not have changed the casting right away because the two 56 bell housings I looked at still had it. On the 56 style pump there is nothing to communicate with it as the direct clutch is fed from the gap in the front pump bushing. In other words, when you install the 56 front pump, that passage does nothing.

Yellow arrow is for the drain between the front seal and the bell housing bushing. This insures that the front seal does not see any pressure. When your 56 pump is bolted to the 54 bell housing, you need to make sure that has a way for that passage to drain into the case. I am imagining that the 54 front pump had a hole drilled for that, in 55 and 56 they just extended the passage a bit so it would whiz around the edge of the pump. You can easily extend it with a Dremel.

Red arrow is a drain passage for any fluid that gets trapped between the front band pivot pin and the bell housing to case bolt that is directly in line with it. I don't view it as helpful, but again, you could make a little notch there with a Dremel. The fact that this bolt is not into a blind hole is why it does not get a toothed washer, but rather a self locking bolt. A little sealer is a good idea.

I don't know the reason for the notch by the blue arrow as it does not communicate with anything within the pump. It may have been added for better lubrication at the pump to convertor stub shaft interface. Again, you can just grind in a small divot with your Dremel and call it a day.

Whilst you are doing all of this you might consider one of my favorite mods which is ventilate the bell housing. This does wonders for heat control. I use a 1 1/4" hole saw to make a pattern of holes out near the outer rim. Will try to find a photo later.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 11:25
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ross, thanks for the info. I believe this is a later '56 transmission after that made most of the running factory changed were done, based on the serial number.

So sounds like just some minor changes are needed. I'll pop down to home depot and pick up a Tungsten Carbide bit to make those changes to the '54 housing.

So, no danger leaving the "Green Arrow" channel as it? Doesnt need to be blocked off in any way?

Posted on: 2016/3/18 14:25
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I think you will find there is no port on your 56 pump that communicates with that channel, thus it has no effect.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 18:00
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 205 206 207 (208) 209 210 211 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved